[SOLVED] PC turning off

Kharsonist

Reputable
Jul 4, 2020
CPU: i7-9700k (corsair h100i AIO cooler)
Mobo: Asus MPG z390 gaming plus
PSU: gamemax 800w atx power supply
GPU: MSI RTX 2060 SUPER

Hi, I upgraded my pc about 3 months ago and everything has been running quite well until 2 days ago. So my PC has shut off twice in the past 2 days. It just shuts off, then won't turn back on. The CPU error light illuminates on the motherboard and the AIO is the only thing that lights up.

Incident 1: The first time it happened and not turning on, I wonder is the cpu was overheating, although no notification popped up, which should happen if it overheated. But I was skeptical so I took out the AIO and replaced the thermal paste, in case that was the issue. Weirdly enough, after I did this my computer came back on. Also temps were never above 50c.

Incident 2: PC turned off and then would not turn back on with CPU error light again. I was was kind of confused again and wondered what was causing this. I lightened the screws that hold the AIO in place and the computer then turned on successfully.

EDIT: During both instances, the fans got noticeably loud just prior to the shut off, but again the temps never got above 50c.

The only thing that comes to mind is that Possibly AIO screws too tight? (I tightened them by hand until there is resistance so I don't think this makes sense). I do know overtightening is bad but I don't think I did that.

Also maybe there is some contact issue between the CPU and MOBO but I don't think the computer would shut off, unless ofc the routing of power would cause it to.

Kharsonist

Reputable
Jul 4, 2020
could be a PSU issue, maybe the fan noise is the PSU fan and not your system/GPU

I temporarily put my i5 back in which seems to be working without any issue. I will consider a PSU issue and will buy a higher watt and better quality psu. I plan on upgrading to nvidia 3000 series anyway so a better psu is good either way.

I temporarily put my i5 back in which seems to be working without any issue. I will consider a PSU issue and will buy a higher watt and better quality psu. I plan on upgrading to nvidia 3000 series anyway so a better psu is good either way.
Gamemax PSU's are not very good quality. Before you buy a new one, post your intended purchase in the PSU forum so we can make sure you get a good one this time.

Use this list to help you select a new PSU. Stick with tier 'A' or 'B'.