[SOLVED] PC turning on and off repeatedly

Mar 25, 2019
Hello, I have an issue with my pc, not sure which category to put it in so putting it here for now.

A week ago my pc randomly crashed without warning. It then proceeded to restart, powered up for a few seconds and then shut off again. Waited for a few more seconds then powered up and shut off again and continued to do this until I pulled the power cord out. Unsure what was wrong I disconnected everything, opened up the pc, made sure everything was in working order and all connected properly and then booted it back up. It began power cycling again so I turned it off, did some googling, removed the CMOS Battery and put it back in. It then booted up without issue.

I ran hard drive checks to make sure it was not damaged but it came back just fine. A few days later I went to boot it up and it power cycled again. So I opened it up, decided to give it a good thorough clean out this time and then closed it back up, without removing the battery. It booted up just fine. I decided that the hard drive might be an issue and ordered a new SSD instead of the standard HDD I have atm.

Today I had another crash and it gave me a Blue Screen. Upon restarting it began to power cycle once more. This time I unplugged the power cord for a few minutes then tried to reboot and it rebooted just fine. I loaded up the event viewer to see if it recorded anything that might have cause the BSOD and all it says is that "The previous system shutdown at 4:38:20 PM on 3/29/2019 was unexpected. What I found odd is that the time it was recorded was at 17:14:52 so the times aren't setup right?

I am out of my depth here and I do not know what is going on, I think something is broken and needs replacing but I don't know what it might be. Everytime I google this it comes back with something different. CMOS Battery, bad drivers, GPU dying, power supply dying. Could someone help me figure out what might be wrong?

Thank you

CPU: Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-P: ATX, LG1150
Ram: 8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
SSD/HDD: 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE (Soon to be replaced with a 2TB SSD)
GPU: 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready
PSU: CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Chassis: InWIN GT1 BLACK GAMING CASE

Solution
Random reboots and restarts are typical of a PSU issue.
PSU issues don't usually get BSODs, but they can.
The VS series are some of the poorer quality Corsair series, so personally I reckon if you change your PSU, this issue will likely disappear.

Are you able to get a minidump at all to see if there was something else causing the blue screen?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Random reboots and restarts are typical of a PSU issue.
PSU issues don't usually get BSODs, but they can.
The VS series are some of the poorer quality Corsair series, so personally I reckon if you change your PSU, this issue will likely disappear.

Are you able to get a minidump at all to see if there was something else causing the blue screen?

Solution
Mar 25, 2019
Thank you, I'll be keeping an eye on it, no crashes lately thankfully. I am going to be doing some file maintenance soon and replacing my HDD with an SDD shortly. If it crashes again after that I'll know for sure it is the PSU and I shall replace it. I did not know about the minidump at the time sorry. I had a look but it doesn't look like It made one, just the error logs from, the event viewer