[SOLVED] Pc turning on and off with 2 ram sticks

Timebirds12

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Computer suddenly turned off and after that the issue started.
When turning the PC on it tries turning on, with all the lights and fans on but shortly after shuts down and tries turning on and repeating the cycle until I switch the PSU off.

Tried removing and re-seating the GPU and RAM and checking all power connections and everything worked fine afterwards. The next day when turning the PC on, the same cycle started, this time I tried removing the RAM and testing them one by one in each RAM slot. 1 stick worked fine and the computer booted no matter the slot it was in (one time it seemed like it started the cycle but after turning itself off it turned on and booted) but the other stick gave the same cycle no matter the slot and didn't boot.

After re-seating the RAM stick a few times and checking to see if there was any dust on the contacts, the system turns on but there's no beep and the monitor is dark but it doesn't do the same on-off-on-off cycle. I even got it working once but since I turned the PC off the same issue persists.

I built the PC last year in July 2019 and it's held up fine. The 16GB of RAM have always been recognized by the pc and everything was fine.
Specs:
CPU: I5-9600K
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-P
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000MHz
PSU: SeaSonic SSR-550RM

I feel like the RAM stick is faulty, but could it be fixed, since it sometimes does boot up with both sticks and recognizes both of them or should it be replaced?

Solution
If you can get it to boot into memtest86 test the sticks. It will likely fail or perhaps not even run from your comments and even though it is a real pain to do, I would RMA both sticks -- as you need a new set. Go to the Corsair support site and start a ticket explaining that.

The free memtest86 version is what you want.

RealBeast

Titan
If you can get it to boot into memtest86 test the sticks. It will likely fail or perhaps not even run from your comments and even though it is a real pain to do, I would RMA both sticks -- as you need a new set. Go to the Corsair support site and start a ticket explaining that.

Solution

Timebirds12

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

One of the sticks booted into memtest86 but the other one didn't. Seemed to be no problems with the first one. Memtest seems to be a good tool for extra testing. Guess I'll try to return them.
Thanks!

Timebirds12

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
I know it's painful in the short run, just got a motherboard and switch back from RMAs but well worth the effort in the long run.

Update. Just decided to try removing both sticks to hear the RAM missing beep, and after that I installed the presumably faulty stick of RAM alone and it was registered by the motherboard. Before it wasn't registered alone no matter the slot.
After running memtest, there seems to be no issue with it? All tests passed and no errors just like the other stick.

Perhaps the pins didn't connect well? Seems rather interesting.

TRENDING THREADS