Question PC turning on but no display/peripherals not working

Dec 2, 2019
Pc was working fine earlier today but after trying to install some LED strips, the computer itself turns on ( all LEDs, fans, etc, turn on) but does not display and peripherals don't turn on either. The red "CPU" led on the motherboard lights up also. I cleared cmos, swapped out the GPU, unplugged led strips, and still nothing. Did I kill my motherboard while trying plug in the led strips? Is it the cpu?
I built this PC myself but am still new to all this stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

Cpu is ryzen 2600
Motherboard is gigabyte x470 ultra gaming

Last edited:
Pc was working fine earlier today but after trying to install some LED strips, the computer itself turns on ( all LEDs, fans, etc, turn on) but does not display and peripherals don't turn on either. The red "CPU" led on the motherboard lights up also. I cleared cmos, swapped out the GPU, plugged in monitor to mobo port and still did not work. Did I kill my motherboard while trying plug in the led strips? Is it the cpu?
I built this PC myself but am still new to all this stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

Cpu is ryzen 2600
Motherboard is gigabyte x470 ultra gaming
Yes, it's possible to ruin MB by overloading or shorting any component, CPU unlikely. Btw, plugging monitor to MB soesn't work anyway becase that CPU doesn't have graphics component.

Memphisto

Honorable
May 6, 2017
Do you have a little display on the motherboard that shows a boot code kind of like here?

ea676253e7c3fc07c537982603f31bc7_XL.jpg

If yes please tell us what kind of code it tells you when you try to start the pc

Dec 2, 2019
Yes, it's possible to ruin MB by overloading or shorting any component, CPU unlikely. Btw, plugging monitor to MB soesn't work anyway becase that CPU doesn't have graphics component.
Yeah, I know but I wanted to see if I could at least get a splash screen but I still could not. Is there a way I can test the motherboard to make sure that's what the problem is?
Yeah, I know but I wanted to see if I could at least get a splash screen but I still could not. Is there a way I can test the motherboard to make sure that's what the problem is?

Memphisto

Honorable
May 6, 2017
Hm... without the codes its not that easy to find out but still possible...
Because it stays at the "CPU" Led the first thing i would try is remounting the CPU...
Doesnt sound very likely but taking it out and putting it back in often works wonders :)

Does it cycle through all of the LEDs or does it stay at the CPU right from the beginning?
Could it maybe be that you unplugged one cable from the PSU to Plug in another for the RGB?

Check if the "CPU" Power cable is plugged in on the Motherboard AND the PSU

Dec 2, 2019
Hm... without the codes its not that easy to find out but still possible...
Because it stays at the "CPU" Led the first thing i would try is remounting the CPU...
Doesnt sound very likely but taking it out and putting it back in often works wonders :)

Does it cycle through all of the LEDs or does it stay at the CPU right from the beginning?
Could it maybe be that you unplugged one cable from the PSU to Plug in another for the RGB?

Check if the "CPU" Power cable is plugged in on the Motherboard AND the PSU
I've remounted the cpu already and that didn't work, unfortunately. The led stays on "cpu" from the startup. I've checked the psu and everything seems plugged in properly.