[SOLVED] PC turning on by itself after water damage

Vespasian XIII

Reputable
May 10, 2017
Hi guys
Hope you are all well!
Was wondering if any of you kind souls could help me with a problem please:
I spilt some water on my desktop tower last week and some went over the motherboard and psu fan.
I dried it as best as I could and turned it on after a few days. The USB ports weren’t working, nor was it connecting to the screen (display is plugged into the gpu). Sometimes the screen would connect and it wouldn’t progress beyond the bios, sometimes it would go to the miscosoft blue screen of death.
However if I turned it on and off about 6 times, on the off chance, it would work and I could use the pc normally.

Last night, I was awoken to my pc turning itself on and off constantly every 3 seconds, the way it would turn off suggested power shortage which makes me think psu, but why would the pc turn itself on?

Does anyone have any suggestions? PSU fault? Motherboard fault? Is a component still wet? Should I take it to a store for them to check it out before I commit to buying a component?

Would really appreciate some help, thanks so much for reading!

Hi guys
Hope you are all well!
I spilt some water on my desktop tower last week and some went over the motherboard and psu fan.
I dried it as best as I could and turned it on after a few days. The USB ports weren’t working, nor was it connecting to the screen (display is plugged into the gpu). Sometimes the screen would connect and it wouldn’t progress beyond the bios, sometimes it would go to the miscosoft blue screen of death.
However if I turned it on and off about 6 times, on the off chance, it would work and I could use the pc normally.

Last night, I was awoken to my pc turning itself on and off constantly every 3 seconds, the way it would turn off suggested power shortage which makes me think psu, but why would the pc turn itself on?

Does anyone have any suggestions? PSU fault? Motherboard fault? Is a component still wet? Should I take it to a store for them to check it out before I commit to buying a component?

Water got into the price is on the motherboard or the power button causing a momentary contact closure to short.

You should have waited with it unplugged. Panicking to test to see if it still works was the risky choice after a spill.

If you have experience building your own systems, tear it down piece by piece and start with the bare minimums after you are sure they are dry.

Hi guys
Hope you are all well!

Water got into the price is on the motherboard or the power button causing a momentary contact closure to short.

You should have waited with it unplugged. Panicking to test to see if it still works was the risky choice after a spill.

If you have experience building your own systems, tear it down piece by piece and start with the bare minimums after you are sure they are dry.

Dec 30, 2020

You are quite right on that, the best solution is to remove the motherboard after water damage so that it doesn't cause shorts.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS