Question PC turning on by itself when plugged in

grokestray

Commendable
Apr 9, 2018
I have my PC connected to a UPS, which I turn off during the night. In the mornings, when I turn on my UPS, for some reason the PC turns on by itself, shuts down before it gets to fully boot, and then turns on again normally. At first I thought it was because of the UPS, so I connected my PC to the wall outlet, but the same problem occurs. One thing I've noticed is that it seems to only happen when the PC had been turned off for several hours. If I try to unplug it and then plug it back in a few minutes later, the problem doesn't occur. This has been happening for around 2 weeks. Before that, everything was fine. I've already tried going into the BIOS to change any settings that may have to do with automatic startup, with no success. Is there a way to fix this?

EDIT:
Specs:
GTX 1050 ti
i5-4460
8 GB RAM
Product : SHARKBAY
Manufacturer : LENOVO
SerialNumber :
Version : SDK0E50510 WIN

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Is your computer connected to a network and is "Wake on LAN" enabled?

How do you turn of the computer for the night? E.g., the WIN key, power icon, and then click 'Shutdown"?

grokestray

Commendable
Apr 9, 2018
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Is your computer connected to a network and is "Wake on LAN" enabled?

How do you turn of the computer for the night? E.g., the WIN key, power icon, and then click 'Shutdown"?
I've updated my post. Wake on LAN is not enabled. And yes, that is how I turn off my PC, and I wait until the PC is completely off before I turn off the UPS.

Ralston18

Titan
Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect all cables and connections serving the case's front panel for signs of an electrical short with respect to the power switch and any reset buttons.

Look for bare wire conductor showing or a metal to metal contact where insulation is worn, pinched, kinked.

While checking use a bright flashlight to look around the motherboard. There should be some labeling regarding make, model, and version.

Failing that, open Powershell and run the following cmdlet:

Get-WmiObject win32_baseboard | Format-List Product,Manufacturer,SerialNumber,Version

You should be able to copy and paste the preceding line from this post to to Powershell PS> prompt on your computer.

Post the results.

grokestray

Commendable
Apr 9, 2018
Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect all cables and connections serving the case's front panel for signs of an electrical short with respect to the power switch and any reset buttons.

Look for bare wire conductor showing or a metal to metal contact where insulation is worn, pinched, kinked.

While checking use a bright flashlight to look around the motherboard. There should be some labeling regarding make, model, and version.

Failing that, open Powershell and run the following cmdlet:

Get-WmiObject win32_baseboard | Format-List Product,Manufacturer,SerialNumber,Version

You should be able to copy and paste the preceding line from this post to to Powershell PS> prompt on your computer.

Post the results.
I've updated my post again. I've also followed your instructions and didn't find anything out of the ordinary inside the PC.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"One thing I've noticed is that it seems to only happen when the PC had been turned off for several hours. If I try to unplug it and then plug it back in a few minutes later, the problem doesn't occur. "

With the computer turned off and plugged in, do you see any motherboard LED's indicating that power is present?

In BIOS do you see any configuration settings regarding or referencing "State of Use"?

Reference:

http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=767815

I was searching for the applicable User Manual when I found the above link.

And that link included a Lenovo link:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/search?query= Lenovo Thinkcentre E93z&searchLocation=masthead_S

Hopefully the power issue is just a configuration setting.

No need to immediately change anything. The objective is to identify possible culprits and then narrow down to a specific, applicable solution.

And if you do further googling on the problem be careful - some of the sites that came up were suspicious. Leave/exit such sites as quickly as possible.

grokestray

Commendable
Apr 9, 2018
This:

"One thing I've noticed is that it seems to only happen when the PC had been turned off for several hours. If I try to unplug it and then plug it back in a few minutes later, the problem doesn't occur. "

With the computer turned off and plugged in, do you see any motherboard LED's indicating that power is present?

In BIOS do you see any configuration settings regarding or referencing "State of Use"?

Reference:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/search?query= Lenovo Thinkcentre E93z&searchLocation=masthead_S

No need to immediately change anything. The objective is to identify possible culprits and then narrow down to a specific, applicable solution.

And if you do further googling on the problem be careful - some of the sites that came up were suspicious. Leave/exit such sites as quickly as possible.
I've looked in the BIOS but did not manage to find anything about "State of Use". I will check the motherboard for LEDs a little bit later and come back with an update

grokestray

Commendable
Apr 9, 2018
This:

Reference:

As far as I can tell there are no LEDs on the motherboard