[SOLVED] PC turning on for a sec then turns off and repeats

Ukasha Zia

Prominent
Nov 23, 2020
I was using a 250 watt power supply
I changed it to a 400 watt psu to run my RX 560 4G
Before the pc was runing fine but when i installed my new gpu with new psu it wont boot up but the fans spin for a second or two and turn off
Can anyone rectify this problem?

Solution
Replacing a 250W PSU with a likely low quality 400W PSU (there aren't many decent quality PSUs below 500W) may not have been enough for the RX560. PSUs tend to do the power-on-for-2sec loop when an under/over-voltage protection gets tripped somewhere and triggers a reset.

InvalidError

Titan
Replacing a 250W PSU with a likely low quality 400W PSU (there aren't many decent quality PSUs below 500W) may not have been enough for the RX560. PSUs tend to do the power-on-for-2sec loop when an under/over-voltage protection gets tripped somewhere and triggers a reset.

Solution

Ukasha Zia

Prominent
Nov 23, 2020
Thanks
Is my gpu safe ?

InvalidError

Titan
Thanks
Is my gpu safe ?
If the PSU was new and you didn't try it for long, probably.

The really bad part about most low quality PSUs is that their capacitors are picked such that the PSU will fail shortly after the warranty expires, at which point your components are exposed to whatever unfiltered garbage comes out of the PSU.

BTW, a short-circuit may also cause the PSU to cycle. Make sure you don't have any pinched cables and connectors stuck on a screw or other random bit.