PC turns of and on 2 times before it boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayded

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
SO i recently OC'd my FX-8320 to 4.2 ghz. It is very stable and running very cold with my 212 evo. The problem I'm having is that every sense the OC, it seems the bios has a hard time loading the OC and tries to boot very quickly 2 times before booting. It's always 2 times then I'm good.

What I want to know is, did I disable something in the bios that is causing this?

Is there an option I should have turned on to prevent it.

Can this damage my computer or is this normal when you overclock?

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard rev. 4, uefi bios version F2. Turbo is disabled, as I'm pretty sure it should be when overclocking.

Bus speed 210 with 20x multiplier 1.35v .

Sirian

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
The voltage sounds a little high but I'm not familiar with overclocking AMD. I'd say if it's skipping the bios screen before booting it's not stable. Either that or it's so fast the monitor hasn't picked up the signal yet and you think it booted twice. Are there two system beeps?

Jayded

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
It's only on a cold start up. I hit the power button once, it turns on for about half a second, turns off for about 2 seconds, turns on for about a full second, turns off for about 2 seconds again, then turns on, boots up, beeps once and windows loads. After its up and running if i do a restart it will turn on and off only one time, not two. If i revert to default settings in bios it boots up no problem. So... anyone??

scritty

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
It's the voltage or temp change after overclock. This is the one reason people put their CPU's into permanent OC mode with an established voltage rather than rely on "Boost" overclocking. Quite often during boot a system will trigger "boost" and the voltage doesn't catch up in time and the system closes down (fails safe).
Generally - current being what it is - and conductivity being what it is - after a couple of goes the extra heat generated equates to that tiny fraction of extra conductivity that makes all the difference and the system boots.
I don't know the established range of voltage for your chip, but when this happens on an old Sandybridge I up the voltage to in the region of 1.28 - 1.3 for a modest overclock and turn off all the BIOS options for "Boost" and force the CPU to run at OC the whole time.
I had this "3 starts" thing last with a 2500k a few months back, once I went to permanent OC from Boost OC and set a standard voltage it never happened again. Temps rarely get to 54 degrees max and most of the time in the mid 30's at 4.4 Ghz

Bill Reinhardt

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
This happens on my 990FXA-UD3 when i DISABLE turbo boost. When "Turbo Boost" is ENABLED, it boots on the first try.

I am going to experiment with leaving it enabled, but keeping the turbo multiplier at 20 so it shouldnt make a difference to my OC (I OC'd via bus).

Jayded

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Well Disabling turbo boost does stop this from happening but then it throttles. So i just let it turn on and off 2 times. I guess what i really want to know is if it's normal and ok? Will it harm my hardware over time? Should i turn turbo on?

Is there a trick to keep it from throttling with turbo on?
Is there a trick to keep it from turning off 2 times before booting with turbo off?

Niklaus

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

I have the same exact motherboard and an FX-8350, and the same exact problem.
I was very confused when this was happening and I had no idea what it was, but I knew it was happening whenever I would overclock. First I thought it might be the power button header connectors on in the wrong spot or opposite or whatever and the motherboard was commanded to 'restart' but that didn't make sense or solve anything (since it was on right the first time)

I found out a few weeks ago that this was happening whenever 'Core Performance Boost' or whatever was turned OFF.
I had no idea why but I was gracious that I found that out. Anyway, this on-off thing really bothers me so I tried messing with my settings and I could not get anything to work normally for the life of me. If turbo is on my CPU starts to throttle and does not run at it's maximum overclock which is also annoying, so I can't have it on.

I just found a thread saying that this is normal as for when your computer boots, it sees that you have an OC set in the BIOS so it restarts the computer to run with those OC'd settings.

As for damage, I'm positive it won't ruin anything. I've been running like this for months now and it's all fine. Seems like it's normal but annoying as hell.

As far as I know, there are no tricks from preventing throttling with turbo or to fix the booting/restarting.

FX-8350 running @ 4.6 GHz @ 1.440V

costifirescu

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hello, I have the exact same problem. From cold boot the PC stops 2 times before proper boot, from a restart it only stops once. I have a "mild" OC @4.4Ghz. My system : Gigabyte GA 990FXA UD3 (rev. 4.0), AMD FX 8350, MSI 770 GTX, 4x4GB Corsair Vengence 1600mhz DDR3, Corsair AX860i.
My concern is the same: Is this odd behavior going to damage any of the components?

random265

Reputable
May 12, 2014
I have the exact same thing on off twice before booting.
GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard rev. 4, uefi bios version F2. Turbo is disabled
fx6300 2x 4gb corsair
running at 4.4ghz 22multiplier 1.3volts 200bus
only built and oc yesterday
realised the problem from cold start today.
glad I see this within a few hours of diagnosing.

Kosmitie

Reputable
May 28, 2014
I have to say the same thing happened to me when I was overclocking my CPU today. Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P. Looks like Gigabyte's motherboards have something inside so they are booting twice before the final boot.

Asus, Abit, Gigabyte, MSI, and several other board makers have a feature that checks stability. If it shows unstable, it will reboot with lower settings, sometimes setting lower FSB or changing RAM speeds. This could be what is going on with your computers.

I would check your settings after you boot up to see if they are the same as what you input in your bios, to see if it changed.

Bill Reinhardt

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

I checked this out and it is certainly not changing my clocks, voltages, or fsb. It even seems to do this at default BIOS settings the moment I turn off "Turbo Mode." Not sure why turbo is the trigger...

Leaving turbo on with my 4.6 OC settings (being sure the turbo mult matches my processor mult to lock it in at 4.6) results in the PC booting just fine, BUT individual cores will underclock themselves during a stress test. It will load up all cores to the max just fine. Then, for a split second, one core will drop the mult down to x7, then back up to normal. No errors occur under prime 95, but i can see the mult dropping on both AMD overdrive and CPU-Z. I'll mess around with this a bit more... maybe i'll try HPC mode?

IB4 "turn off all AMD power control settings yada yada"

Bardock221995

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
i disabled pretty much everything in there besides cpu performance boost and set that above my multiplier. CPU unlock is whats restarting my computer try disabling it and enabling cpu performance boost but setting it above your clock rate and it will never boost it to there anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.