[SOLVED] PC turns off 10 seconds after being switched on

dejavu619

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
Issue #1: I played a few hours of Control without any issues yesterday and today. And some time later it shut down 10 seconds into being switched on (it didn't even post and the monitor didn't detect it). I tried again and it booted fine. When this last happened a few days ago, I reseated the GPU and it started working fine so I thought it was a loose connection but I'm worried it might be related to the PSU.

Config: i5 4460, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 1070ti Mini, Antec VP 550 PSU.

Temps when gaming: View: https://imgur.com/Fv7U92k

I know my PSU model is bad and I plan to change it ASAP but it's entirely possible that my current issue is caused by another faulty part. If so, knowing said part would help so that I can replace it as well.

Issue #2: this has been happening for a long time but I was ignoring it. I'm not sure if this is related to issue #1. Yesterday I just normally shut down my PC and 2 seconds after turning off, it started by itself again. I checked the event viewer but there didn't seem to be any specific mention of what could've caused the PC to turn on again. Event Viewer screenshots: View: https://imgur.com/a/Fpox9KY

I did some testing and think we can rule out a loose power switch because I disconnected the power button from the motherboard and started it using a screwdriver and it kept turning off after 10 seconds without posting.

If my PSU were failing, wouldn't my PC have shut down while I was using it or gaming? It only behaves strangely when I turn it on (by turning off in 10 seconds and not posting or being detected by the monitor). Should I perform some stress tests?

Solution
A +12V rail making a dive like that isn't good, even if it stays within specs. Would advice to get a better psu basd on that, but in the end is it a software tool. A multimeter might show better.
▶ Manually Test a (PSU) Power Supply With a Multimeter by Britec - YouTube
it's up to you if you want to go that route since you'll have to do it with a load on the pc so make use of a molex connector while stressing the pc. Looking again do i not truly see where the lowest spikes (down spikes) are ending, but looks pretty near the 11.4V that is the bottom limit.

dejavu619

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
Ran some stress tests. This is my PSU's 12V rail. There's a 5% tolerance level but should I be concerned?

unknown.png

I've also run memtest86, furmark and prime95 and none of those have thrown any errors. My CPU did go to 99 C during the stress tests though so there's that but when I'm gaming, the temps have been normal. Yesterday, my PC froze on me for the first time. Event viewer wasn't of much help. I was watching my friend stream on discord and as soon as he launched a game, my PC entirely froze. Wasn't even able to move the mouse. I've also already reset CMOS.

This is my HWINFO csv file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aYjgKrm4ABje78AhlwlKvvKfGPie-gbv/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
A +12V rail making a dive like that isn't good, even if it stays within specs. Would advice to get a better psu basd on that, but in the end is it a software tool. A multimeter might show better.
▶ Manually Test a (PSU) Power Supply With a Multimeter by Britec - YouTube
it's up to you if you want to go that route since you'll have to do it with a load on the pc so make use of a molex connector while stressing the pc. Looking again do i not truly see where the lowest spikes (down spikes) are ending, but looks pretty near the 11.4V that is the bottom limit.

Solution