PC turns off after 0.5 seconds after troubleshooting problems after replacing my heatsink.

darthw111

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5 GHz eight core Hard Drive: 1RB SATA III 7200 RPM 3.5"
RAM: ADATA XPG V2 4GB x2
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AM3+ Crossfire
PSU: Corsair 500 Watts CX500
GPU AMD Radeon R7 260x 1GB

I really want my computer back...

I bought this PC custom from Cyberpower. It's been about a year since I bought it and last month my liquid cooling failed so I ordered a Cooler Master Hyper 212 to replace it. So I go about replacing it and then get it all together. I had to unplug and take out my MB to install the back plate. Once I get it in, my PC won't turn on, so I take the power cord out and plug it in again, pushing a little harder in to make sure it fits.

PC turns on, but alas, no display on the monitor. Checked the monitor with another PC and it displayed and used the HDMI on my GPU to test it on a TV, and it didn't display. I was sure everything is plugged in, the MB was functioning because all it's USB slots were working with my mouse (it was lighting up). My GPU's fans were still running too.

I took out two screws from the PSU bracket behind the PC, then I thought better of it and decided not to mess with my PSU (Important)

So I took out my 2 RAM sticks and my GPU, and I unmounted my heatsink and CPU cause I realized that I used too much thermal paste. So I take out the CPU and heatsink and clean them thoroughly but I notice I got a little thermal paste on the MB next the CPU bracket. I thought "Oh shit" but I went about cleaning it (with rubbing alcohol) then set it to dry for a day with my RAM and GPU unmounted also

So today, I put everything back in all nice and plug in the power cord, then I notice it feels weird and requires extra force to plug in a plug out. Powers working, the red light on my PC is on. However when I power up, the PC turns on for 0.5 seconds then turns off.

I don't know what to do at this point. It seems to me that every time try to troubleshoot, things get worse. I don't want to get a new PC or expensive new parts, I'm a college student and I can barely afford then. I just want to know that this is fixable.

Getting thermal paste on a motherboard is perfectly fine. It honestly would have been find if you just left it there. Was the alchohol that you used 99%?

Also, really really really make sure that your CPU power connector is really in there. Another thing to ensure is that your CPU doesn't have any bent pins.

Something you can try quickly is clear the CMOS: http://www3.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/emea/eng/membership/411560.htm

darthw111

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015

So unrelated to your solution but what I did was switch around my RAM sticks and the PC boots and displays fine. NOW however, I think my CPU is overheating again. It took an hour of usage and 30 mins of WoW for it to shut down, and after I turned it on again it only took 20 mins of WoW. So I take out the heatsink, re-apply as little thermal paste as I can ( pea sized) and plug everything back in. Now I get no response from the PC. No boot, no red light when cord is plugged in. I don't know what I keep doing wrong. I'm certain my ram and my GPU are in right, and that the CPU power connector is in. When I mount my heatsink, it kinda smears the thermal paste a little bit and comes out of the edge, but I clean it off with alcohol.