Question Pc turns off after 15 seconds and it won't turn turn on unless I do a hard reset

Aug 12, 2020
Here are my specs:

• Intel core i7 9700f
  • Asrock B365 phantom gaming 4 motherboard
  • Geforce GTX 1660
  • 1 XPG 16gb ddr4 2666
  • XPG core reactor 650w psu 80 gold
  • 1 Tb ssd m.2 nvme gammix S5
  • 2tb HDD Seagate barracuda
  • Corsair hydro h100x liquid cooling
  • bitfenix saber pc case
-Windows 10 pro

The build is around a month old, its actually from a friend's that wanted me to take a look at it.
Basically all started when he turned off the system but the fans were still spinning at full speed and the RGB lights were still on, so he did a hard reset to turn it completely off.
But when he turned on again the system, it only turned on for 15 seconds (with no screen) and then turn itself off.
Now, the motherboard has 4 red lights on the front to indicate what may be the problem booting up (CPU, dram, VGA and boot) only the boot light lights up, but after disconnecting the drives (both ssd and HDD) the problem still persisted
So I did the standard troubleshooting guide, disconnected everything and component by component started adding to see if i could find the faulty piece, but as I was doing this the trouble persisted, so I decided to clear the CMOS (the motherboard has two pins on the front to clear it but I took off the battery the first time) and after doing that the pc turned itself on. At this point I only had the ram plugged in, so I went component by component but it seemed like it was fixed, I could go into the bios without my system shutting off.

Because of all the resets windows started malfunctioning so I had to reinstall it, and everything seemed fine, I figured that was the problem. So I just stared downloading all the updates and once it finished I turned the pc off but then it happened again, the system was turned off but the fans were still on and even started running at full speed except this time if I tried to do a hard reset it would turn on and this actually showed me the bios, but after 15 seconds it would turn off

So I first took out the GPU, unplugged the CMOS battery and also short-circuited the two clrmos pins on the front and it turned on again with no issues. I turned it off and restarted a couple of times to make sure it wasn't just one time luck but it seemed again fixed, so I continued installing updates, I was able to install the latest build of windows (I believe it's the 2004 build) and even install the Nvidia deivers, I had left the computer on all night so it could download everything (yes my internet is that slow) and it was working fine. But I tried turning it off to make sure it was for sure fixed but it happened again.
The pc won't completely turn off, the fans are spinning at full speed and theres nothing on the screen showing up, this time if I do a hard reset to turn it on there's nothing on the screen, and the system shuts down after 15 seconds

Does anyone know what could be? The system seems fine as long as you don't turn it off, you can play games with no issues but at random times the system won't boot up again.

I ran some tests on the drives to see if they could be the source of this but they are fine and work fast

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How long was it that he applied the option for shutting down the system? Often times, some system's need a little while before the shut off all functions/power to all devices. You're advised to install all drivers manually, after downloading the drivers from manufacturer's support site. Once downloaded, you're suggested to install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Can you get into BIOS and check to see which BIOS version you're currently working with? You will need to keep in mind that if you have BIOS updates pending, you will need to work your way up to the latest version(paying heed to the messages in yellow).

Aug 12, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How long was it that he applied the option for shutting down the system? Often times, some system's need a little while before the shut off all functions/power to all devices. You're advised to install all drivers manually, after downloading the drivers from manufacturer's support site. Once downloaded, you're suggested to install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Can you get into BIOS and check to see which BIOS version you're currently working with? You will need to keep in mind that if you have BIOS updates pending, you will need to work your way up to the latest version(paying heed to the messages in yellow).
Oh yes i forgot to mention that, after the system turns off and there's nothing but the fans spinning, i left it like that for over two hours, the cpu didnt seem to be hot or anything but i didnt left it like that for more time because i was afraid it could do harm to the system.

The BIOS seems to be updated to the latest (version 4.30)