Question PC turns off after between 10-15 minutes

Jan 29, 2024
Hello! So for the last 6 months I have had a problem with my pc. My PC randomly shuts down. The PC usually shut down when i was playing more demanding games however, it also shut down when it was idle. In the last 2 months it has been impossible to use the PC. I would start the PC and after 10-15 minutes, even in bios. I have tried testing the ram, checking the cables and temperatures, tried switching PSU, resetting cmos and nothing works. A day ago i factory reset my computer and it seemed to solve the problem with shutting down after 10-15 minutes. However it still shuts down when playing more demanding games. I have no idea what to do and would appreciate any help i could get. To clarify, the computer completely shuts off and wont start for a few minutes. If i can remember correctly the problems started when i switched ram sticks and used xmp to get better performance out of them. When the problems started i turned off xmp but the problem remained.
Specs:
Graphics card: Nvidia 3060 ti
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z590-P
Ram: Corsair VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-11700F Processor
PSU: Corsair 650 watt

Run memtest86+
It boots from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download it here:

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

XMP sets the ram to it's advertised speeds. There is nothing special about that.

In the bios reset to default settings. do not try something like "optimized settings"
Such settings may be applying an overclock that interacts with ram.

I might have thought the psu was at issue, but since a replacement changed nothing, look elsewhere.

FWIW, The CV series do not get a lot of love.

Failure after a time smacks of a heat issue.
Start hwmonitor and set to see individual core temps.
If you see 100c. in red, that core throttled.
That is not alarming assuming it throttled a bit and recovered.

Jan 29, 2024
Run memtest86+
It boots from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download it here:

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

XMP sets the ram to it's advertised speeds. There is nothing special about that.

In the bios reset to default settings. do not try something like "optimized settings"
Such settings may be applying an overclock that interacts with ram.

I might have thought the psu was at issue, but since a replacement changed nothing, look elsewhere.

FWIW, The CV series do not get a lot of love.

Failure after a time smacks of a heat issue.
Start hwmonitor and set to see individual core temps.
If you see 100c. in red, that core throttled.
That is not alarming assuming it throttled a bit and recovered.
Started off by resetting bios. Now the computer wont boot. It turns on for like 30 sec without the keyboard, mouse and screen recieving signal. After 30 sec it turns off and boots. This computer does not give me less reasons for throwing it out of my window hahah
Edit: It goes through the same cycle so it turns on 30 sec and off and so on
:(

Jan 29, 2024
Started off by resetting bios. Now the computer wont boot. It turns on for like 30 sec without the keyboard, mouse and screen recieving signal. After 30 sec it turns off and boots. This computer does not give me less reasons for throwing it out of my window hahah
Edit: It goes through the same cycle so it turns on 30 sec and off and so on
:(
Okay so a short update. I got the pc to start and it worked when idle with temperatures under 30 celsius. Got it going for over 30 minutes but as soon as i opened a game it turned off. Instantly. Haven´t done a memtest yet as i require a usb.

TRENDING THREADS