[SOLVED] PC TURNS OFF AFTER CPU POWER IS PLUGGED IN

Sep 18, 2019
Hello you smart pc people, I’ve had a build for 2 years now and decided I need an upgrade.
I changed out my motherboard due to my USB ports Melting into there sockets

I set everything up such as
Cpu: i5-7400
Gpu: gtx-1060
Psu: I don’t really know it was from my original build that I had bought premade
Ram: 2 Hp 4 gb stick of ddr4
Motherboard: gigabyte H310M A 2.0

My Pc will turn on when the cpu power is disconnected
When it is connected the fans spin and the psu led flashes before turning off

I’ve tried another psu but It is an older one from a dell build back in the windows xp days
Anyways it still did the same thing turning off within a few seconds

I replaced the motherboard with a new one just in case I accidentally broke it, yet it still does the same thing..

At this point it’s either the psu or cpu. And I don’t have the money to buy both so I came here to ask what to do first

I have taken out my cpu and powered it on but it powers back off 4 seconds later than the original 1/2 seconds

Last edited:
Solution
USB Ports melting is REALLY BAD, that sounds like you had a voltage issue. Likely caused by a bad PSU. Your bad PSU is likely damaging the new boards that you are using. I'd bet money it probably damaged your CPU as well.

I would start with a new motherboard if you can exchange that one and a new PSU. If you still have problems, the CPU needs to be replaced as well.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
USB Ports melting is REALLY BAD, that sounds like you had a voltage issue. Likely caused by a bad PSU. Your bad PSU is likely damaging the new boards that you are using. I'd bet money it probably damaged your CPU as well.

I would start with a new motherboard if you can exchange that one and a new PSU. If you still have problems, the CPU needs to be replaced as well.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
so, i need to buy a psu cpu and replace my motherboard again?

You definitely need a PSU. I would imagine because your current one is messed up it has damaged your Motherboard. And in a worst case if you still have problems the CPU was also damaged by the original bad PSU.

How did you even connect this old PSU to the motherboard did it have 4 PIN EPS connectors? I ask because you said it came from a prebuilt.

Sep 18, 2019
You definitely need a PSU. I would imagine because your current one is messed up it has damaged your Motherboard. And in a worst case if you still have problems the CPU was also damaged by the original bad PSU.

How did you even connect this old PSU to the motherboard did it have 4 PIN EPS connectors? I ask because you said it came from a prebuilt.
there is a 4 pin connector to the cpu power and a 24 pin for the motherboard alone

Sep 18, 2019
You need to look under the board and make sure none of the standoffs are touching the board except where the holes are. I would try a new PSU first then motherboard if needed.
No its not being short-circuited instead and the motherboard is brand new i just got it returned cause the last one was doing the same thing it is the cpu and psu

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
last question sorry for so many but should i get an i5-9400f or should i get another

If you currently have an i5-7400 then you need a different motherboard to run an i5-9400f.

6xxx and 7xxx series Intel CPUs use different boards than 8xxx and 9xxx ones.

So if you're buying brand new of both then sure get the 9400f and the appropriate board, but if you're exchanging your motherboard defective for the same one, you are stuck getting another 7400 or other 7xxx series CPU.