[SOLVED] PC TURNS OFF AFTER CPU POWER IS PLUGGED IN

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 18, 2019
Hello you smart pc people, I’ve had a build for 2 years now and decided I need an upgrade.
I changed out my motherboard due to my USB ports Melting into there sockets

I set everything up such as
Cpu: i5-7400
Gpu: gtx-1060
Psu: I don’t really know it was from my original build that I had bought premade
Ram: 2 Hp 4 gb stick of ddr4
Motherboard: gigabyte H310M A 2.0

My Pc will turn on when the cpu power is disconnected
When it is connected the fans spin and the psu led flashes before turning off

I’ve tried another psu but It is an older one from a dell build back in the windows xp days
Anyways it still did the same thing turning off within a few seconds

I replaced the motherboard with a new one just in case I accidentally broke it, yet it still does the same thing..

At this point it’s either the psu or cpu. And I don’t have the money to buy both so I came here to ask what to do first

I have taken out my cpu and powered it on but it powers back off 4 seconds later than the original 1/2 seconds

Last edited:
Solution
USB Ports melting is REALLY BAD, that sounds like you had a voltage issue. Likely caused by a bad PSU. Your bad PSU is likely damaging the new boards that you are using. I'd bet money it probably damaged your CPU as well.

I would start with a new motherboard if you can exchange that one and a new PSU. If you still have problems, the CPU needs to be replaced as well.
Sep 18, 2019
Welcome to 2 pages ago. He now has a 9400F and is buying a B365 Board.
Hey bud, So my parts came in today. IT TURNED ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But quite unfortunately nothing turned on for my monitor, I read that my ram is 2400mhz where as my cpu only supports dual channel 2666mhz ram. now I am having to buy more ram, I always like to come to you before buying cause youve helped me solve more problems than my friends, that being said you think these 2 sticks of ram would work?

The one i am looking at is a Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB of ram (2 sticks of 8gb)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hey bud, So my parts came in today. IT TURNED ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But quite unfortunately nothing turned on for my monitor, I read that my ram is 2400mhz where as my cpu only supports dual channel 2666mhz ram. now I am having to buy more ram, I always like to come to you before buying cause youve helped me solve more problems than my friends, that being said you think these 2 sticks of ram would work?

The one i am looking at is a Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB of ram (2 sticks of 8gb)

Your system should boot with 2400mhz ram, you do not need to buy new ram.

So is your monitor plugged into the motherboard or your GPU, and what GPU do you have?

I ask because the 9400F DOES NOT have onboard graphics, so if you're plugged into the motherboard and not a GPU you won't get anything.

Sep 18, 2019
Hey I HAVE it plugged into the gpu, my friend recommended me to buy a new set of ram, I already bought it. He said that if ram does not work then it will not do anything when power is on, that being said I don’t have enough $$$ to afford a new gpu, actually matter of fact the gpu and ram both work I’ve used it once and my screen powered on, like a week ago. It just never worked again (cpu) I will replace dram and report back (sat-monday)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hey I HAVE it plugged into the gpu, my friend recommended me to buy a new set of ram, I already bought it. He said that if ram does not work then it will not do anything when power is on, that being said I don’t have enough $$$ to afford a new gpu, actually matter of fact the gpu and ram both work I’ve used it once and my screen powered on, like a week ago. It just never worked again (cpu) I will replace dram and report back (sat-monday)

Ok just wanted to be sure. The GPU is probably fine. What monitor are you using?

Sep 18, 2019
when you buy a prebuilt rig like i did, the ram sometimes is made to where it only works with there products, further notice my gpu is also -------- rip'd i was thinking and my pc (When it booted up that one time) was running off of the i5-7400 integrated graphics
Not only that but when i turned my pc on my monitor would come out of Power saving mode then go back in but once unplugging the dp from the GPU then plugging the dp back in it would not be noticed (monitor would stay in power saving mode)

So I ordered a 1660 Ti.
Rate my build
CPU: i5-9400f
GPU: GeForce GTX 1660Ti Msi Gaming
Ram: 2x8gb 3000mhz ddr4 Corsair Vengence
PSU: EVGA 600 w Bronze
MOBO: Asrock B365 Phantom Gaming 4
HDD: 1TB
SSD: N/A
Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
when you buy a prebuilt rig like i did, the ram sometimes is made to where it only works with there products, further notice my gpu is also -------- rip'd i was thinking and my pc (When it booted up that one time) was running off of the i5-7400 integrated graphics
Not only that but when i turned my pc on my monitor would come out of Power saving mode then go back in but once unplugging the dp from the GPU then plugging the dp back in it would not be noticed (monitor would stay in power saving mode)

So I ordered a 1660 Ti.
Rate my build
CPU: i5-9400f
GPU: GeForce GTX 1660Ti Msi Gaming
Ram: 2x8gb 3000mhz ddr4 Corsair Vengence
PSU: EVGA 600 w Bronze
MOBO: Asrock B365 Phantom Gaming 4
HDD: 1TB
SSD: N/A
Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower

Ok first off watch the language please.

Secondly, no thats not true that the ram only works with their products. That has never been true.

The only way your PC would have run off the IGP would be if you plugged your monitor into the motherboard. If the GPU failed and you were plugged into it you'd just get nothing.

Anyway thats a good enough midrange system. PSU is junk, so if you don't own that yet I'd get another.

Sep 18, 2019
Update: put the GPU in, IT TURNED ON!
I installed all the drivers and played a good 9 hrs in vr (i missed it)

Thank you for your help on selecting correct parts and sharing knowledge to me for future reference.