PC turns off after I start playing games, and certain parts of case shock me?

Moethedirt

Honorable
Feb 23, 2015
So I built my PC Originally almost 3 years ago, (Summer 2015)

Since then I've changed a couple things

But recently back in October I changed my case from an S340 to a Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass Edition.

A little while after I got a new Silverstone 600w PSU 80+

Now recently If I touch let's say a USB port directly on the case it'll give a little shock. I thought this was a bit strange but never gave concern to it.

However as of 2 days ago my PC's been turning off ONLY when I let's say bootup a game into any actual gameplay.

My room is really hot I was checking Hwinfo temps and I was idling 50 on the cpu and 75 in gameplay.
(celcius)

I used to have an overclock on my I5 but took it off recently as my room was getting hot.

I don't know if this affects anything but when I was moving my computer a bit the power cable backed into a wall and this was after it randomly turned off, the computer turned on for a second but then off again.

Any ideas on what to try?

mconradie

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
It definitely does sound like a heat problem. I had a similar issue a few years ago. It turned out to be that my power supply was overheating under load (e.g. when playing games). Check how hot your PSU is. Eventually, I had to get a new PSU. If it's not your PSU then check that your fans and heatsinks on your other components are working and not clogged with dust.

Moethedirt

Honorable
Feb 23, 2015

My main problem is my room used to be a garage so there's no air flow from the rest of the house that's actually cool. I'm going to try to move my pc to a different area for a little bit and then see what happens thanks for the advice.

Also how would I check my PSU temps.

gondo

Distinguished
75'C is shutdown territory. The motherboard will automatically shut down for safety.

Clean the dust off everything, particularly any filters which might be clogged. Now check your airflow which should look like this:
- You want lots of air intake in the front, and possibly some on the bottom and top of the case.
- Your PSU should be turned so the inside fan points down, takes air in the bottom and exhausts out the back with no affect on the case. If you don't have a PSU fan cutout on your case then the fan will be pointing inside the case and acting as an exhaust for the case.
- Your video card acts as an exhaust to the rear as well
- Add some rear case fans for exhaust as well
- with 2 fans up front and 2 in the back plus your video card and possibly the PSU, you have more exhaust then intake. This will create negative air pressure and tend to pull the extra air required from cracks in the case and dust enters.
- To get positive air pressure you want more intake then exhaust so an extra fan on the bottom and 1 up top acting as intake works well. This will have cool air entering from all around the front of the case, bottom to top, and being directed toward the back where it is picked up by the CPU and GPU. And all that extra intake air pressurises the case to keep dust out of the cracks and stuff. Air is forced to only enter through the fans where you should have filters to trap dust and be able to clean it regularly. If you don't have a filter, then I wouldn't use the spot for intake.

Now if you have good airflow and still have overheating issues then you definitely have a hot room and ambient and possibly a sub standard heat sink and you need to upgrade your CPU cooling. Worse case scenario you need some air conditioning in the room but it's rare that you need air conditioning unless the computer is located in an industrial environment with very hot ambient.