[SOLVED] Pc turns off after upgrading parts

Mar 1, 2021
EDIT:
SOLVED:
what i did:
i did as digitalgriffin suggested, and striped it down to the basics, aka PSU, CPU, and MOBO(plus the powerswitch from my case so i could start the thing). it started, and i got an output to my monitor. i then turned the pc off, and installed my case cables. now it dind't start at all. i then removed every cable one by one, and tryed to turn it one inbetween each cable. i THINK (not KNOW) my problem was that i had plugged my panel plugs in wrong, i did not know these had designated places(i knew where, but not that they had a specific configuration), and had just plugged them in. after i had my panel plugs connected correctly i tried to start the pc again, with succes. then from there, i installed 1 piece, then turned on my pc, to see which part could have been the problem otherwise, and to my surprise, everytime i had installed a component, it started without any problems, and now im writing this on that pc, that has worked since yesterday.
big thanks to all that commented <3

So i have reasently upgraded a cupple of pieces in my gaming pc.
Motherboard: Tuf Gaming z370 plus gaming, bios version 2403
CPU: upgraded from an i5 5500k to an i9 9900k (motherboard supports this with the installed bios version)
RAM: 2x8GB
Case: upgraded from a "standard" pc case (don't know the name, but just 3 rgb fans in a normal sized case), and to a cosmos c700p.
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: upgraded from a corsair TX550M to a corsair RM1000x.

I started having problems when i tried to install my new cpu, i got this first and was excited to get it in, and it didn't work. Turned out to be my bios being outdated, so i followed the manufacteres instrunctions, and updated my bios. I checked after the update was done, and it said the version was indeed version 2403. I had gotten a message the same day, that my new case was ready to be picked up, so i didn't install the new cpu, since i already needed to take everything apart the next day.
After putting everything in to the new case, it clicked off about a sec after being powered. I read about multiple people where the psu was dead or not big enough, so i bought a 1000w from a 550w, and now, after i installed everything, sure it would work, it turns on, when i plug the power in to it, but powers off about 2 seconds later. Not making the "click" sound it did before upgrading the psu, so that must mean that it's not the psu not being powerfull enough to power it, right? So i thought it might be a problem with the cpu, maybe the bios was not actually updated, or something else, but the same problem occurs. I have checked the motherboard, and everything is plugged in correctly, and all the way. I have consulted, both the motherboard instructions and the PSU instructions, and everything should be fine.
In the short time its on, everything seems to be fine, both light and fans. The only thing i have noticed is that there is a little speaker plugged in to my motherboard, that would "beep" before when the pc turned on and everything worked as it should, but it doesn't do that any more. Dont know if that helps with anything.

Last edited:

AlexTheFern

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
WHOAAAAAAA your power supply is wayyyy overkill. Imo you could have kept that 550w power supply, and spent that money somewhere else. Alhtough it would still be a good idea to upgrade your psu to abt 650-700 watts anyway, just to be safe.

are you able to get into BIOS?

Mar 1, 2021
WHOAAAAAAA your power supply is wayyyy overkill. Imo you could have kept that 550w power supply, and spent that money somewhere else. Alhtough it would still be a good idea to upgrade your psu to abt 650-700 watts anyway, just to be safe.

I am planning on upgrading further in the future, to a better GPU and a complete water cooling system. And i have heard that a big psu cant hurt your system.
I might be able to get back in to the bios, however that would mean i have to dissasemble the entire thing, and put it back in to the old case, and i would really hate to do that. If there is no other way, i will do it though. Thinking about it, is it possible for me to disconnect the case cables, and connect it to the old case? That would mean very little work for me, which i would prefer, since im not a hawk at this, i know what im doing, and if not, i look it up, but im not a hawk.

InvalidError

Titan
If his board had a POST beep before and doesn't get that far anymore, then it is crashing/rebooting/shutting down very early during power-up, likely before the GPU gets initialized and anything can be output to monitors. The two most common causes for that are either something not plugged in or something shorting out such as an IO shield ground tab stuck inside an IO port or misplaced motherboard tray stud.

So i have reasently upgraded a cupple of pieces in my gaming pc.
Motherboard: Tuf Gaming z370 plus gaming, bios version 2403
CPU: upgraded from an i5 5500k to an i9 9900k (motherboard supports this with the installed bios version)
RAM: 2x8GB
Case: upgraded from a "standard" pc case (don't know the name, but just 3 rgb fans in a normal sized case), and to a cosmos c700p.
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: upgraded from a corsair TX550M to a corsair RM1000x.

I started having problems when i tried to install my new cpu, i got this first and was excited to get it in, and it didn't work. Turned out to be my bios being outdated, so i followed the manufacteres instrunctions, and updated my bios. I checked after the update was done, and it said the version was indeed version 2403. I had gotten a message the same day, that my new case was ready to be picked up, so i didn't install the new cpu, since i already needed to take everything apart the next day.
After putting everything in to the new case, it clicked off about a sec after being powered. I read about multiple people where the psu was dead or not big enough, so i bought a 1000w from a 550w, and now, after i installed everything, sure it would work, it turns on, when i plug the power in to it, but powers off about 2 seconds later. Not making the "click" sound it did before upgrading the psu, so that must mean that it's not the psu not being powerfull enough to power it, right? So i thought it might be a problem with the cpu, maybe the bios was not actually updated, or something else, but the same problem occurs. I have checked the motherboard, and everything is plugged in correctly, and all the way. I have consulted, both the motherboard instructions and the PSU instructions, and everything should be fine.
In the short time its on, everything seems to be fine, both light and fans. The only thing i have noticed is that there is a little speaker plugged in to my motherboard, that would "beep" before when the pc turned on and everything worked as it should, but it doesn't do that any more. Dont know if that helps with anything.

Strip down to the basics.

I thought the 5000 series from Intel was DDR3
The 9900k is DDR4.

Did you upgrade the RAM? I would assume you did as the RAM physical pin placement dimensions are different.

Aside from that, strip down to the basics:

CPU + 1 stick DDR4 memory + PSU.

Plug the video into the motherboard video connector.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX
Take everything out of the case and put the motherboard on a wooden table or cardboard.
This eliminates a case short as a potential problem.
Plug your monitor into a motherboard graphics output.
This eliminates graphics as a source of the problem.
Install the ram in the slots recommended by the motherboard manual.
Plug in the psu cables. An overly strong psu is not an issue.
See if you can get into the bios with whichever cpu is currently installed.
You will need to have a cpu cooler working.
If good, try to
Run memtest86
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok as well as the cpu.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.
If you run ok with the old cpu, install the new one.
Before you do, check the cpu socket very carefully for a bent pin.
The pins are all too easy to be damages if you do not drop the cpu in cleanly.
If you needed to smoosh the cpu around to seat it, you probably damaged a pin. That will have unpredictable symptoms.

If all works outside of the case, put it all back in.
Be certain that the motherboard standoffs are installed and only where there are motherboard mounting holes.

Reinstalling the graphics card would be the last steep.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I might be able to get back in to the bios, however that would mean i have to dissasemble the entire thing, and put it back in to the old case, and i would really hate to do that. If there is no other way, i will do it though.
You should be able to troubleshoot as is. If you need to you can test outside of the case, but there is no need to fully assemble it in the old case.

Mar 1, 2021
Strip down to the basics.

I thought the 5000 series from Intel was DDR3
The 9900k is DDR4.

Did you upgrade the RAM? I would assume you did as the RAM physical pin placement dimensions are different.

Aside from that, strip down to the basics:

CPU + 1 stick DDR4 memory + PSU.

Plug the video into the motherboard video connector.

I did, and i found my problem... i didnt know that panel connectors should be plugged in in specefic places. Im almost embaraced to admit that...