[SOLVED] PC Turns Off and On by Itself.

DibDibs

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Hi,
I've been having problems with my PC after I rebuilt it. Before I describe the problem; here is what the situation is...

I had a PC with an old motherboard in which was due for an upgrade. I'll call this 'my PC'. I've installed the new motherboard (no new components) into my PC and everything works fine.
I also have a second machine (which I will call 'my server') which my PC's old motherboard has been transferred into. My server is using a 500W power supply, a GIGABYTE Z27OP-D3 motherboard with an Intel i5-9600K CPU. The CPU is brand new, everything else within the system has been used in previous builds before and had worked flawlessley a few days ago.

Currently, my server has this problem where when I turn it on, everything will remain on for a few seconds and then it will turn off. Then, randomly, it will turn back on and the whole cycle will repeat. I have tried using a different PSU which is known to work and the problem persisted. I have tried resetitng the CMOS by removing the battery for 1 minute. I have also tried removing all unnecesarry components from the motherboard; so there is no graphics card, no network card, no case fans and no front panel connections (I am starting the server by shorting the PWR pins with a screwdriver). Even after removing all of these components, the problem still persists. I can hear the HDD spinning up when the server initially boots, the problem is the same with or without the HDD.

The only thing which seems to have an effect is whether or not the 8-pin 12V ATX cable is plugged in just above the CPU. If this is not plugged in, the system will generally remain live for a few seconds longer. If this cable is plugged in, the system will turn on then immediately turn back off.

I've been looking for a solution to this problem but the two main problems people are having seem to be the PSU and the CMOS, both of which are not my problem. What else could this problem be, will it be the motherboard or the CPU? It seems strange to me that any of these components would be faulty considering the CPU is brand new, and the motherboard worked in my PC one day prior to installation in the server.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help and please reply and let me know if you need more info.
Thanks again!

Solution
Unless that is a mistake that you have the same motherboard in each system, according to your specs, or you have mistakenly put the wrong CPU model in, then that is your problem. You can't run a 9600k in a Z270 motherboard. They are absolutely, 300% not compatible. 9600k will ONLY work in 8th or 9th gen LGA 1151 motherboards. It will not work in 6th or 7th gen LGA 1151 motherboards.

You need a Z390 or B365 motherboard OR a B360, H370 or Z370 that has had the BIOS updated to a version that supports 9th gen CPUs like the 9600k.

Unless of course you botched up the posting of one or another of your components and which build they go in.

It wouldn't make much sense that you'd use a 9th Gen i5 that has six cores in your server while using...
What is the exact model of the memory kit, or sticks, being used in the "server" motherboard currently?

Did they all come together in a set, or are they mix and match sticks?

What is the exact models of BOTH power supplies you tried to use with the "server" and what is the FULL list of hardware being used with that system?

DibDibs

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
What is the exact model of the memory kit, or sticks, being used in the "server" motherboard currently?

Did they all come together in a set, or are they mix and match sticks?

What is the exact models of BOTH power supplies you tried to use with the "server" and what is the FULL list of hardware being used with that system?

Hi Darkbreeze,
Thanks for the reply!

Here's a full list of the specs for each machine...
My PC
  • Processor: Intel i7-7700K
  • Memory: 1x Corsair Vengance 8GB DDR4
  • Power Supply: FSP GROUP INC FSP500-60HHN (Photo attached)
  • Hard Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
  • Graphics Card: Aorus GTX 1060 6GB
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z270P-D3 (Brand new)
My Server
  • Processor: Intel i5-9600K
  • Memory: 1x Corsair Vengance 8GB DDR4
  • Power Supply: Generic 500W PSU (ATX-500B) (Photo attached)
  • Hard Drive:
    • Boot Drive: Crucial 1TB eSATA SSD
    • Storage Drive: Setagate IronWolf 6TB NAS eSATA HDD
  • Graphics Card: Not yet installed
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z270P-D3 (Previously used and worked flawlessley in My PC)
As I said early, I have tried booting the server using My PC's PSU which is known to work, since it is currently working in My PC now and that didn't seem to make a difference.

The memory came as a kit to make 16GB. I have split it across the two systems at the moment (each system has one stick of 8GB in it) while I am waiting on some more memory to arrive. I have inserted the memory into the same ports on each system. My PC works fine with one stick but the server isn't working, I don't know if that is because of the memory yet though. I will try the server with both sticks of memory.

Attached images are available at this link: View: https://imgur.com/a/w0iPWnE

Thanks again, sorry for the late reply.
Again, let me know if you need any more info.
Thanks for your help so far!

Last edited:
Unless that is a mistake that you have the same motherboard in each system, according to your specs, or you have mistakenly put the wrong CPU model in, then that is your problem. You can't run a 9600k in a Z270 motherboard. They are absolutely, 300% not compatible. 9600k will ONLY work in 8th or 9th gen LGA 1151 motherboards. It will not work in 6th or 7th gen LGA 1151 motherboards.

You need a Z390 or B365 motherboard OR a B360, H370 or Z370 that has had the BIOS updated to a version that supports 9th gen CPUs like the 9600k.

Unless of course you botched up the posting of one or another of your components and which build they go in.

It wouldn't make much sense that you'd use a 9th Gen i5 that has six cores in your server while using a 7th gen i7 that has only four in your main system. Should be the other way around to be honest.

Solution

DibDibs

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015

It wouldn't make much sense that you'd use a 9th Gen i5 that has six cores in your server while using a 7th gen i7 that has only four in your main system. Should be the other way around to be honest.

Alright thanks for that, I thought all 1151 sockets were compatible regardless of generation.

You don't think me turning it on with this CPU plugged in would cause any damage do you?

PS: I'll mark your answer as soon as I replace the motherboard and check it works.

It could, it might have. I can't say. I've seen them be fine and I've seen hardware fry when using the wrong CPU. I think if you get a different, compatible, motherboard, you'll be fine. The motherboard is more likely to be damaged than the CPU anyhow in most cases. Certainly it's your problem if you do actually have that CPU in that motherboard.

DibDibs

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
It could, it might have. I can't say. I've seen them be fine and I've seen hardware fry when using the wrong CPU. I think if you get a different, compatible, motherboard, you'll be fine. The motherboard is more likely to be damaged than the CPU anyhow in most cases. Certainly it's your problem if you do actually have that CPU in that motherboard.

I agree, I wouldn't try to get a repair on warranty, it's my fault for not checking specs!
As long as, if anything is damaged, it is the motherboard and not the CPU I think I'll be fine.
Fingers crossed!
Thanks again!

Last edited: