[SOLVED] Pc turns off and on repeatedly after second stick of ram

Sep 1, 2019
Hello. After changing my mobo, pc works fine with one ram but not with 2. If i place it at slots 1 and 2(dual channel as mobo’s manual) or 3 and 4, pc keeps turning off and on repeatedly, without booting. Now, if i leave only 1 stick at either slots 1 or 3, boots fine. If i leave 1 stick at slots 2 or 4, the problem persists. The pair of ram works fine on another pc. Please, what can i?

Here the specs:
MOBO Gigabyte B85-D3h
Intel Core i7 4770
RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb (2x8gb) Ddr3 1600mhz C9
PSU Corsair TX 650M
GPU Geforce gtx 1660 ti

Solution
I would update to F15 but not until you check to verify whether there are any bent pins on the motherboard. Sometimes it's hard to tell and it doesn't take much as far as being out of alignment/bent to cause a problem. You don't want to update the BIOS until you are sure there are no problems with bent pins so you don't run into issues.

Probably you would be ok since it runs on a single stick, but best to play it safe anyhow until you are sure. You might need to use a magnification device like a magnifying glass or high powered reading glasses to check for bent pins as they can be hard to see sometimes.
Wrong. You need to install them in slots 2 and 4. Starting at the CPU socket, install them in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU. Those are the A2 (DDR3_2) and B2 (DDR3_4) slots. After installing them in those slots, with the power off, then remove the cmos battery for a few minutes to reset the BIOS. Power back on, go into the BIOS and set the memory XMP profile if they are not already running at the correct speed, as well as reconfiguring any other custom BIOS settings you need to redo after resetting the BIOS.

The "channels" the manual is talking about, is a confusing issue, but they are not the same "channels" as where they memory actually needs to be installed at, as seen here per your own motherboards manual. It's the same for ALL consumer dual channel motherboards, since, well, ever.

The four DDR3 memory sockets are divided into two channels and each channel has two memory sockets as following:
Channel A: DDR3_2, DDR3_4
Channel B: DDR3_1, DDR3_3

RI5whYp.png

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019
Thank you but i installed at those slots at the picture. Later on the manual says they’re slots 1 and 2. They’re both gray. reseted the cmos as well without success. ;(

Thank you but i installed at those slots at the picture. Later on the manual says they’re slots 1 and 2.

No, it doesn't say they are slots one and two. I just looked through the manual for your board and no where does it say that two memory modules should be installed in those slots. Try installing in the other two slots, the first and third slot over from the CPU socket.

Did both these memory modules come together in ONE memory kit, or were they purchased separately even if they are the exact same model?

Sep 1, 2019
What motherboard did you have previously, and why did you change boards?
Thank you for the help, a Lot, Darkbreeze. The BIOS was damaged, i had a Asrock Z87 Extreme 6, the first bios fried. Then i could use the second bios( from a physical switch). It was just like now, turning on and off at boot but eventually i could work normally. Untill i could not, even with the second bios. Maybe the processor is damaged? But the pc works fine with 1 stick. Maybe 1 channel of memory is not working at the mobo because if i stick 1 memory there it doesnt work either. Sorry if i’ve mistaken the names about the slots, its late here but i’ve placed the memory the same way as the picture shows. Thanks again for the help, i really appreaciate.

Sep 1, 2019
Did both these memory modules come together in ONE memory kit, or were they purchased separately even if they are the exact same model?
i have tested 2 kits for dual channel, that’s what i meant. Sorry. They are paired. Total of kits, 2 paired memories each with same specs, all woking in another pc withou problems.

What BIOS version does this board currently have? Check to see if it has the latest version and if not, I would update while using only one stick. Then after updating, try both sticks. You might also try bumping the DRAM voltage up by .005-.020v with only one stick installed, save settings exit bios, shut down, install the other stick, power on, go back into BIOS and check to see that all is correct.

I would also suggest that you may want to remove the CPU and check for bent pins, as failure to work with more than one stick of memory is OFTEN an indicator that there has been a bent pin on the motherboard or CPU. In this case, since it's an Intel LGA configuration, on the motherboard.

I would update to F15 but not until you check to verify whether there are any bent pins on the motherboard. Sometimes it's hard to tell and it doesn't take much as far as being out of alignment/bent to cause a problem. You don't want to update the BIOS until you are sure there are no problems with bent pins so you don't run into issues.

Probably you would be ok since it runs on a single stick, but best to play it safe anyhow until you are sure. You might need to use a magnification device like a magnifying glass or high powered reading glasses to check for bent pins as they can be hard to see sometimes.

Solution
Sep 1, 2019
It updated ok to f15. I think i’ll take the pc tomorrow for someone to take a look at the pins, i’m really not experienced on this and i don’t trust my hands to fix anyways lol. Thanks a ton man. I’ll update when i have news, still not working.

Sep 1, 2019
@Darkbreeze the problem has been solved, thank you for guiding me! It was the processor indeed, it needed some cleaning in the contacts. Now it works properly! Was simple, yet i couldn't handle, but the important is that it works now. :)