PC turns off at random times while playing any game

randomphantom02

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
I have had a problem for the past week or so that I have not had in the past. My PC, only while playing games, will just shut off for no apparent reason. There is no warning, or drop in frame rate, or anything it just shuts off. Also, when I try to turn the PC back on it doesn't work so I must either switch of the power supply, or unplug and plug it back in to get it to turn on again. I have tried see if it was a temperature issue, but everything seems to be under normal temp. This problem has been occurring more often as time goes on. Please help.

My Specs:
CPU: i7 7700k
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM
Power Supply: Logysis 480W
GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1050ti
Motherboard: ASRock H110M HDS
RAM: 2x4gb HyperX Fury

Solution

As power supplies age, they lose their ability to provide the rated output, so the amount of power provided goes down. This is compounded when you use a no-name POS $15 or $20 PSU.

The PSU is the heart of your system, without it NOTHING works! It is the only component that, if it fails, can destroy ALL of your other components. Never "Cheap Out" on the PSU, it is false economy! Think about it: Are you unwilling to spend $60 to $80 on a QUALITY PSU for your $1000-$1500 computer?

crashes and re-boots are generally power related. Logisys is not known as one of the better PSU makes. Go here:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
I would suggest getting a 500-600 watt unit from tiers 1 or 2.

DSzymborski

Titan
It's a junk PSU, one that you've been pushing to its limits for a long time. That it eventually fails wouldn't be a major surprise.

Even if this isn't causing this specific problem, it's extremely difficult to diagnose a PC with a power supply such as this. If you go to the ER with a knife stuck in your stomach, they have to remove the knife first before they can check if you also have an unrelated stomach ailment. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the parts on the motherboard and GPU are no longer in the best condition after two years of using a power supply that never should have been in this rig.

As power supplies age, they lose their ability to provide the rated output, so the amount of power provided goes down. This is compounded when you use a no-name POS $15 or $20 PSU.

The PSU is the heart of your system, without it NOTHING works! It is the only component that, if it fails, can destroy ALL of your other components. Never "Cheap Out" on the PSU, it is false economy! Think about it: Are you unwilling to spend $60 to $80 on a QUALITY PSU for your $1000-$1500 computer?

Solution