Question PC Turns off Burning Smell. Keeps on working for Days.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 9, 2020
Hi All,

1080ti
i7
SuperNova Gold PSU
MSI MOBO

Built in Late 2016

I've got a strange one for you.

3 Times over three weeks (I game daily for hours) my PC will randomly shutdown and I'll get a moderate smell of Ozone/Burning/Electricity in the air. I don't suspect overheating as I'm playing R6 Siege at 1080p and I've never had heat issues.

There have been 10's of hours of gaming between shutdowns at least.

The first and third time I had to flip the PSU switch off and on to get the PC to start up again.
The second time the machine just rebooted itself but had the same smell/sudden shut off.

I've ordered a new PSU but I have a 4 year old Gold SuperNova at 750w so I'm not sure thats the issue.

I took these pictures of the only "suspect" spots on my MOBO. The 1R0 ( 1RO ?) Resistor? seems burnt. The second picture is of a similar 1RO and although I can see some "marks" they don't seem nearly as pronounced.

Pics here (I hope the link works)

I've bought a new PSU but I'm fearing its the MOBO and I don't want to damage my other components. If I have to buy a new Mobo it is what it is as this is my main hobby these day. I'll be air canning the dust (Dusty but not awful) today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the help all!

Last edited:

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Being a Moderator I would have thought you'd be above such remarks.
Yes it was intentionally, "specifically redundant" since it appears the OP knew ahead of time what the action could cause (at least as far as the build up inside) and possibly a little easy prodding could stop it from happening again and causing more problems in the future.
I hope that clears up any past and/or future misconceptions you may have had concerning my post.
Thank you for your continued support.

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I considered "If that lets you sleep at night" as a snide or flippant remark. Was I mistaken? It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something, even today.
You are correct, that Signature isn't something ideal for a family oriented site.
Changed.

Last edited:

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Thank you :)
No need for thanks, it should have never been there.
I had just finished that post to DarkBreeze (having had already changed it) when his "Banned" for 24 hours punishment took effect.
It hurt me deeply, I may be emotionally scarred for life a minute or two. (cheap attempt at humor)
He is brave though, Trump used the word "Though" in the same context in his statement and they Impeached him.

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
You were doing your job. Denying you had anything to do with it just doesn't make sense. Noone is putting you down for doing it. The sig was not proper for this suite.Your use of the word "Though" seems to insinuate that you were mad at me for pointing out your flippant rtemark. Your text is still there.
I removed the sig and announced you were right before the ban took affect.
But if that helps you sleep at night ... .