PC turns off instead of sleeping

MyBurger_

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
Instead of my PC sleeping, it'll shut all the way off. When I turn it back on, it'll give me the 'windows did not shut down correctly' menu, making me think it's very abrupt. I don't like my PC doing this, and I'm hoping for some help on how to fix this. Here's what I've done so far.

I've tried different solutions from this page.

I've looked at my power plan settings in Windows. All is normal.

I've told my PC to hibernate instead of sleep. It still does this.

What do I do now?

In your bios of your mother board, under the power options.
You have what we call Acpi mode, look for it in the bios menu or sub menus.

This must be enabled and the correct set of S modes need to be selected of that page.
Here is a table and link on what the S modes do when set, or enabled in the bios.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

If The Acpi function is not enabled in the bios, the sleep and hibernation modes will not work within widows properly when used. At least S1-S3 mode must be selected or S4 mode setting in the Acpi section of the bios.
Save the new settings before you exit the bios, and it should all work fine after the change.

S1, Power on Suspend (POS): All the processor caches are flushed, and the CPU(s) stops executing instructions. The power to the CPU(s) and RAM is maintained. Devices that do not indicate they must remain on, may be powered off.
S2: CPU powered off. Dirty cache is flushed to RAM.
S3, commonly referred to as Standby, Sleep, or Suspend to RAM (STR): RAM remains powered. Select this mode. or S1-S3
S4, Hibernation or Suspend to Disk: All content of the main memory is saved to non-volatile memory such as a hard drive, and is powered down.

Windows uses the Acpi function of the bios to power down hardware devices connected to the motherboard and the power hardware features of the motherboard.
Windows signals commands to the bios to do this.
It hibernates and does not sleep because the S mode to do so is not selected in your bios Acpi options of the motherboard.

MyBurger_

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

The only ACPI settings I see in my BIOS allow me to change the blinking rate of the power LED. That's in advanced settings, too.