Question Pc turns off/on repeatedly

May 8, 2022
Hello,
I have an old PC with 2gb ram and 512mb vram graphics card(windows 7 - 32 bit),very old parts in general...It worked fine over the years until last year around september i tried to boot it up, after 5 seconds it turns off then on and that would repeat until i turn it off...I didn't have a clue whats going on, looked it up on google, found some stuff about it and bought a thermal paste.Replaced the paste on the cpu and gpu and put everything back and it worked until yesterday, the same problem appeared again and i dont know what to do(should i replace the paste again?).Screen says no signal and when i take out the gpu the PC doesnt turn off...Whats the problem, what should I do?

What is the cpu? Replacing thermal paste would only affect temperatures, not on off problems at start up. You could try replacing the motherboard battery, round silver looking thing on motherboard. If there are two sticks of ram try pulling one at a time and start pc. Then try with the other stick.

May 8, 2022
Not sure but Replacing paste worked in september, graphics card actually has 256mb ram.

MOTHERBOARD: MSI H61M-P20 (G3)
CPU: dont know exactly its celeron with around 2.4-2.8GHz, dual core, 32-bit
RAM: Silicon Power SP002GBLTU133V02 DDR3 1333MHz, one stick
GPU: NVidia Geforce 8600 GTS
PSU: Rhino RX-500PA

GPU: NVidia Geforce 8600 GTS
PSU: Rhino RX-500PA
Garbage PSU.
It's closer to 150W (not 500W).
Replace it.

GTS 8600 requires minimum 250W PSU.

Izmeni---Obri%C5%A1i-Rhino-napajanje-RH-500PA-V1-3.jpeg

psu worked for 7 years🥲
Do you know why changing paste fixed this problem last year and can you recommend the cheapest psu that should work and be safe
PSU was garbage in the beginning already.
PSUs deteriorate over time. Now it can't even support your low end system anymore.

Changing paste probably had no relation with temporary working of your system.

How much are you ready to spend on a new PSU?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That PSU is scary. It might not be the problem here, but it's hard to tell with a junk PSU in the mix.

It might not be worth spending $60 on a PSU as the whole PC isn't worth that much; you'll have to consider your use because further repairs will cost money.

May 8, 2022
PSU was garbage in the beginning already.
PSUs deteriorate over time. Now it can't even support your low end system anymore.

Changing paste probably had no relation with temporary working of your system.

How much are you ready to spend on a new PSU?
Cheapest possible, if this one worked 7 years surely i dont have to spend much

TRENDING THREADS