[SOLVED] PC Turns off then restarts randomly while gaming

Mar 16, 2020
Basically, I just put together a "new" rig and problems started to arise. Sometimes when I start to play a game or after a while, the pc shuts itself off and then turns back on. I have tried temperature monitoring apps and before those crashes the cpu never goes above 70c. I have tried AIDA 64 and had my cpu at 80c and drawing about 640 watts from my PSU. (I do have a 650 watt PSU.) But, during these stress tests the pc just ramps up their speed and that's it, the pc never crashes or anything. Any ideas?

Solution
That is an old South Korean make and not good when new so that, on the balance of the information provided is the source of all your woes. It is dying and trying to take your other hardware with it.

This would be a good one for you the Corsair RM550x , great quality and stability.

Cheers
Feb 27, 2020
70-80°C is way to much IMO for the CPU. I get nervos when my tempratur gets over 55°C.
Have you look in BIOS to see if there is an setting like "shut down when going over X tempratur"?

70-80°C is way to much IMO for the CPU. I get nervos when my tempratur gets over 55°C.
Have you look in BIOS to see if there is an setting like "shut down when going over X tempratur"?

70-80c for that chip is well in it's comfort zone, it's working range is upto 100c so his cpu temps are not an issue. If 70-80c under load was a dangerous temp 85% of all working PC's would be randomly shutting down daily.

I think your PSU is unable to supply enough power to the cpu AND gpu under stress while gaming, please list the make AND model of the PSU.

Cheers

That is an old South Korean make and not good when new so that, on the balance of the information provided is the source of all your woes. It is dying and trying to take your other hardware with it.

This would be a good one for you the Corsair RM550x , great quality and stability.

Cheers

Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
is 550watts enough for my setup?

the system you listed above, yes a quality 550W unit like the CX-550, Seasonic M12II evo are good base units with decent warranties. if you can afford it the RMX as mentioned above is a great units, but so are the seasonic prime focus units. 550W from a quality unit is more than enough.
lower quality units may only have 300W on the 12V rail and the rest is worthless, a decent unit will have almost all the rated wattage on the 12V rail. the units I mentioned all do.

This will might help you decide, but remember the PSU is more important than Mobo, GPU, CPU, RAM.... if they don't get a solid and reliable power source they will not function properly in the long run and with bad luck get damaged.

That PSU is OK but not more, it always pays to go the extra 30$ for a quality PSU. A review of the 650w version of the series you picked..... make sure to read the customer reviews on Newegg too.....

Last edited: