Question PC turns off when gaming or when plugging in USB devices ?

yellowbluebrown

Commendable
Feb 11, 2020
My PC has started to turn itself off seemingly a bit random over the last few months. First incident when playing csgo for some time (maybe after 1-1.5 hours). Later on I found that I was able to provoke it to shut down when I inserted my headset into the USB in the front of the cabinet, but not necessarily leading to a shut-down every time. More recently I've bought a new keychron keyboard and now it is shutting down if I plug in the keyboard after the system has started. This happens independent of using the front or back usb. When the system shuts down I need to turn off the PSU switch and wait a few seconds in order to get it to boot again. But when I boot the system with the keychron keyboard inserted before, everything works fine.

Tried a few things:
  1. 3Dmark stress test and extrem stress test. Pass no problem, temperatures seems fine.
  2. Memtest 86 passing all 4 tests no problem there
  3. Updated bios on motherboard, no change in behavior
  4. Uninstalled USB-devices in Device manager and also just looked for new drivers, no change in behavior
  5. Opened the cabinet and checked cables escpecially those for USBs. Nothing strange, disconnected them and plugged in again. No change in behavior.
I was thinking that maybe there could be a short or that the PSU has issues, but I am not sure how I could tell. Any advice here would be much appreciated. My PSU is a little over 2 years old and should according to online calculators be ample for my system. Prior to the issue I did not open my cabinet for a long time. System specs below:

Windows 10 home
ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING
AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-core
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 TI
G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600Mhz 16GB
Cooler Master MWE Gold PSU 650W

My PC has started to turn itself off seemingly a bit random over the last few months. First incident when playing csgo for some time (maybe after 1-1.5 hours). Later on I found that I was able to provoke it to shut down when I inserted my headset into the USB in the front of the cabinet, but not necessarily leading to a shut-down every time. More recently I've bought a new keychron keyboard and now it is shutting down if I plug in the keyboard after the system has started. This happens independent of using the front or back usb. When the system shuts down I need to turn off the PSU switch and wait a few seconds in order to get it to boot again. But when I boot the system with the keychron keyboard inserted before, everything works fine.

Tried a few things:
  1. 3Dmark stress test and extrem stress test. Pass no problem, temperatures seems fine.
  2. Memtest 86 passing all 4 tests no problem there
  3. Updated bios on motherboard, no change in behavior
  4. Uninstalled USB-devices in Device manager and also just looked for new drivers, no change in behavior
  5. Opened the cabinet and checked cables escpecially those for USBs. Nothing strange, disconnected them and plugged in again. No change in behavior.
I was thinking that maybe there could be a short or that the PSU has issues, but I am not sure how I could tell. Any advice here would be much appreciated. My PSU is a little over 2 years old and should according to online calculators be ample for my system. Prior to the issue I did not open my cabinet for a long time. System specs below:

Windows 10 home
ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING
AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-core
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 TI
G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600Mhz 16GB
Cooler Master MWE Gold PSU 650W
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver and using DDU (clean and do not restart, also tick all option in Nvidia option in the ddu settings).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 12 on yours since it's 12 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• reboot the PC to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios (do it again if you're currently using the latest bios) ver 4403 the one with agesa 1.2.0.7, go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile, then save and exit.

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.08.xx as the time i write this), then reboot. then check power plan and see if it using amd ryzen balanced power plan instead of windows balanced. also edit the Ryzen balanced power plan (Change advanced power settings) Processor power management minimum processor state to 1%. then do the other change you want to change in that ryzen balanced power plan, then save changes.

• Install the latest nvidia driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).