Question pc turns off when gaming

neto333

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2015
Hi, in some demanding games like microsft flying simulator my pc turns off after a few minutes. It does not happens with all games. I hear that it could be a problem with the psu, but the psu i got is new, just got it last week and is a corsair rmx 850 w. My gpu is a rtx 3090 zotac trinity (also new). My cpu is a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K (this one is like 2 years old).
About temperatures i have measure the temperature with zotac firefly and it is about 70-80 when gaming. Using 90%+ of the gpu.
Maybe it could be an ups problem, because when this happens my ups turns off and the high voltage button turns on. My ups is a CyberPower UPS CST135XLU, No break 1350VA/810W. But is a little bit weird because it says im only using about 60-70% of my ups. So i dont know what it could be.

Thank you

Last edited:
It is VERY likely to be a UPS problem. In fact, we had a moderator around here recently who had a similar problem and at first thought it was because one of the protections on his Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium was improperly set and known to have problems with cards with high transient spikes, which his card, and your card, are known for, but it turned out not to be the whole problem, only part of it. It IS possible that you could be seeing an issue with OPP or OCP tripping the PSU and you MIGHT need to go with a higher capacity power supply, and being only a week old you SHOULD be able to return it and get the RM1000x, but in truth I'd be a lot more inclined to think it's the UPS.

Those don't do nearly as well with exceeding rated power as most good quality power supplies do. Most really good power supplies tend to be able to handle at least a little more, sometimes a lot more, power draw, especially for short periods, than they are rated for. UPS systems almost never can, and are much less likely to be able to if they have some miles on them.

I'd eliminate the UPS and plug your PSU directly into the wall and see if you still have this problem. If you do not, then it is highly probable it's the UPS. If you do, then you still might have some degree of reason to think about a higher capacity UPS system, but you would at that point be pretty sure it's not exclusively the UPS and is most probably either the PSU or possibly even something else like the card itself.

What are the rest of your hardware specs? Motherboard model, memory kit model, storage device model numbers, and approximate age of all hardware. Case, CPU cooler, case fans, case fan configuration details would all be helpful too. Just because your GPU temps are good doesn't mean it can't still be a thermal issue.

When you say "this one is like 2 years old" do you mean that you've had to replace the CPU previously and are on the second one, or do you mean something else?

Reactions: neto333

neto333

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2015
Hi, thank you very much for the answer. Going to try to plug it directly to the wall and update this thread.
All of the components are 2 years old (no second hand) but last week i changed the gpu, psu and got a ssd, but the rest of the hardware are about 2 years old. About the rest of spects, the mother board is a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO. 16 of ram Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, cooling system is a Corsair H100i v2 plus some ARCTIC Pressure-optimed fans. About the

neto333

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2015
Looks like you didn't finish typing whatever it was you were going to type after "About the..........."
Sorry that was a mistake. A little update so far is working great without the ups, i tested id by playing the flying simulator, overwatch 2 and a plage tale requiem. But going to keep testing more and if i have any problems i will update.
Thank you very much @Darkbreeze