Question PC Turns Off When Intensive Games Are Ran

rtwilliam

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
Right, so this is interesting. Whenever I play intensive games (e.g. Elden Ring), my computer just instantaneously turns off (black screen, complete shut off) after several minutes of gameplay. Initially thought it was a PSU problem. Doesn't appear to be the case after installing a new PSU with a higher wattage (800W -> 1000W). Now I think it might be a CPU problem, but I'll leave that to some of our experts in here.

Computer plays just fine whenever I play other games (e.g. Valorant, Human: Fall Flat, Aim Lab, Smite), but seems to crash when I play other games (Elden Ring, The Forest). NFI idea why really.

Specs:
mobo: A320M-HDV R4.0
ram: 16GB DDR4 (dual)
gpu: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition
cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
drive 1 (C): Patriot Burst 128GB SSD
drive 2 (D): 1TB HDD
drive 3 (E): samsung portable SSD 512GB
psu (newly installed): EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT, 80 Plus Gold 1000W

old psu: Apevia ATX-PR800W Prestige 800W 80+ Gold Certified

Right, so this is interesting. Whenever I play intensive games (e.g. Elden Ring), my computer just instantaneously turns off (black screen, complete shut off) after several minutes of gameplay. Initially thought it was a PSU problem. Doesn't appear to be the case after installing a new PSU with a higher wattage (800W -> 1000W). Now I think it might be a CPU problem, but I'll leave that to some of our experts in here.

Computer plays just fine whenever I play other games (e.g. Valorant, Human: Fall Flat, Aim Lab, Smite), but seems to crash when I play other games (Elden Ring, The Forest). NFI idea why really.

Specs:
mobo: A320M-HDV R4.0
ram: 16GB DDR4 (dual)
gpu: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition
cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
drive 1 (C): Patriot Burst 128GB SSD
drive 2 (D): 1TB HDD
drive 3 (E): samsung portable SSD 512GB
psu (newly installed): EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT, 80 Plus Gold 1000W

old psu: Apevia ATX-PR800W Prestige 800W 80+ Gold Certified
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot, save and exit, go to bios again, flash/reflash to this latest bios, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled), do not enable XMP yet, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install this latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.03.xx), then reboot.

• Install the latest nvidia driver and update this nvidia dp firmware update after installing the driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Don't forget to turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (Nvidia GPUs only) in graphics settings and reboot.

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png