Question PC Turns Off With GPU Installed, WONT TURN BACK ON

• Thread starter Deleted member 2745655
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2745655

Disclaimer- I’m not one to normally post on forums, and generally just read others experience and try find a solution there so this would be my first time. I’ll try my best to include everything in this one post, but please let me know if i’ve let any information out.

I currently have a custom built PC. Ive had it for a year or so, and I’ve never had issues with it. I’ve played Counter Strike - GO, Fortnite, GTA Online and The Sims 4.All at High/Ultra high specs and have never encountered issues.

However for the past month, my PC has been constantly freezing, requiring me to Force Restart. With no error code, no blue screen, nothing I didn’t know what was going on. If I was in-game my screen would go black (but monitor didn’t turn off) or if I was normal Windows, such as File Explorer, Google Chrome etc, it would freeze but I could still see everything. I would have to unplug the PC or use the PSU Power Switch. Upon Force Restarting my PC would not turn back on at all. Having no power sent to my PC, I believed my PSU has gone bad. I did the paper clip test and had no issues. I started to take all of my components out and reinstalled them. My PC would turn on, but the issue of freezing persisted.

I read maybe my CMOS battery needed replacing or maybe my BIOS needed resetting. I’ve found my PC boots regardless if I have a battery in there or not. But have for a new one in. BIOS was reset.

Upon further troubleshooting, I’ve found myself reinstalling Windows (Lol, i’m still laughing at this) and finding problem still persists. Which I should have realised at the beginning as it was not a software related issue, as with out without the drivers for my GPU, it would still freeze.

However after the Reinstallation of Windows, the freezes would happen further apart. I’ve found that when I take my GPU out my computer runs fine. I don’t have any issues WHATSOEVER! With the GPU out, I was able to perform a MEM-TEST and my memory sticks are fine. They’re also fairly new. Purchased in December 2018.

Whenever I plug my GPU into the PC, and it freezes, I force shutdown. Can’t turn on. So I must unplug it, both from the motherboard and from the PSU, hold down my PC power button for 10 seconds, plug my PC back in, then it will turn on. If i don’t hold the button down, it will not power on at all.

I also have no issues with bios, and i’m not too familiar with most bios settings, mostly everything is on auto, or set as default values.

From my troubleshooting, it’s led me to believe one or more of the following are true.

• My GPU is either dead, faulty, needs repair. It runs perfectly when it doesn’t freeze, I notice no issues in terms of performance, regardless of gaming, or in general Windows mode.
• My PSU is either dead, old or faulty and cannot support my GPU anymore, like it used to.
• My PCIe port for graphics card (which my Motherboard/LogicBoard only has one) is damaged, broken or dead.

I don’t want to spend money on a new PSU, or a new graphics card to find that the solution can be done at home. However from all my troubleshooting has led me to believe that’s not possible. Anywho, if I’m unable to find remedy here, which I hope I can, I’ll most likely send my PC to a repair store and see if they can do something. (Haven’t done that sooner, because I like to fix things, troubleshoot and investigate before spending money. It’s fun, it’s just not fun when you’re not getting anywhere).

Also a quick note for those that might think otherwise, my computer is dust-free. I clean it every 2-3 months, I don’t believe i’ve damaged anything from static electricity when doing so, i monitor my temps during gameplay, and during normal Windows use. All are always below average to average (in my opinion). CPU is normally below 20c (degrees celsius) at around maybe 13c and rises to 30 during gameplay highest is probably 40. GPU would go to maybe 50-60c.

My specs are as follows.

• CPU - Intel Core i3 7100 3.9Ghz (Kaby Lake)
• RAM - 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666Mhz
• Motherboard - Gigabyte B250M-HD-CF
• GPU - SAPPHIRE NITRO RADEON RX 460 4GB GDDR5
• SSD - Crucial 480GB SSD, something like that.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are on the right track as far as this>>>>

"
My GPU is either dead, faulty, needs repair. It runs perfectly when it doesn’t freeze, I notice no issues in terms of performance, regardless of gaming, or in general Windows mode.
• My PSU is either dead, old or faulty and cannot support my GPU anymore, like it used to.
• My PCIe port for graphics card (which my Motherboard/LogicBoard only has one) is damaged, broken or dead. "

I would download and run HWInfo and check the PSU voltages.
the main ones are +12, +5 and + 3.3 and they need to STAY within 5% of those values AT ALL TIMES.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Does sound like either psu or gpu. Wont have a clue popup until one of those are exchanged for testing.

Though, if a psu fails, usually it shuts down or reboots the pc. In this situation, it could be the graphics card.

Taking it to a pc store would be a good idea as they would have spares to test with.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2745655

I think you are on the right track as far as this>>>>

"
My GPU is either dead, faulty, needs repair. It runs perfectly when it doesn’t freeze, I notice no issues in terms of performance, regardless of gaming, or in general Windows mode.
• My PCIe port for graphics card (which my Motherboard/LogicBoard only has one) is damaged, broken or dead. "

I would download and run HWInfo and check the PSU voltages.
the main ones are +12, +5 and + 3.3 and they need to STAY within 5% of those values AT ALL TIMES.

So I was able to screenshot these. Let me know if they are of any use. Because I wouldn't know what to do with these values lol. I may have screenshot something different. Let me know which ones i should share.
There are three links here. :)

https://ibb.co/qkknF6b

https://ibb.co/LQcLkKC

https://ibb.co/qd4DJDh

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2745655

Does sound like either psu or gpu. Wont have a clue popup until one of those are exchanged for testing.

Though, if a psu fails, usually it shuts down or reboots the pc. In this situation, it could be the graphics card.

Taking it to a pc store would be a good idea as they would have spares to test with.

You're probably right. Thanks for that. I'll see how far I go and then probably go from there. :)

Reactions: boju
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS