[SOLVED] Pc turns off with upgraded GPU - power problem?

Mixerslayer1

Commendable
Aug 7, 2017
Hello

I've upgraded my 1060 to 2060 Super and I am satisfied with the performance and temps but there is one problem looks like when GPU and pc is under load it turns itself off as if somebody cut off the power.

PC:
Ryzen 7 1700
16 gb RAM
b350 tomahawk
ASUS strix 2060 super
Thermaltake Smart SE 630W 80 Plus Bronze
512 ssd
512 ssd
1tb hdd
2tb hdd

I was thinking about making some stress test for cpu and gpu to see if something happen and also set all the power supply options in windows and gpu to optimal/power save.
Anyway do you guys have any idea why is this happening? Also can you recommend me some software for stress tests? Thanks!

Solution
Hello, I decided to bump this thread after some time because i had some more time to test and i've notice that before pc shutdown there is huge performance drop in games like instead of 60 fps there is like 5 and few seconds later PC shutdown itself.

My question is, is it still sounds like PSU problem? or maybe GPU is broken?

Thanks!

It could be chance that it could be the PSU that making your comp shut down and suggest getting new PSU and test it out or if you have friend that has gaming comp and right specs they could test GPU out!. My comp used to shut down on its own and drove me mad so replaced MB and PSU and the fault gone away but never know what made it happen MB or PSU but think it was the PSU because that controls...

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
Yes, it's probably definetly a power supply problem. I had an RTX 2060 with a 450W power supply and it always turned off while under load. Therefore, I would recommend a power supply of 700 or more watts for a 2060 super. Also, kombuster has great software for stress tests.

Mixerslayer1

Commendable
Aug 7, 2017
Yes, it's probably definetly a power supply problem. I had an RTX 2060 with a 450W power supply and it always turned off while under load. Therefore, I would recommend a power supply of 700 or more watts for a 2060 super. Also, kombuster has great software for stress tests.
Yep, that's what I was thinking but 630w sounds more than enough, From what i see 500W should be enough, considering that i have 4 drives a some leds and cam,quit big/powerful mic i might need a little bit more than 500W. I'll do some test and we'll see.

Mixerslayer1

Commendable
Aug 7, 2017
Hello, I decided to bump this thread after some time because i had some more time to test and i've notice that before pc shutdown there is huge performance drop in games like instead of 60 fps there is like 5 and few seconds later PC shutdown itself.

Thanks!

Thanks!

It could be chance that it could be the PSU that making your comp shut down and suggest getting new PSU and test it out or if you have friend that has gaming comp and right specs they could test GPU out!. My comp used to shut down on its own and drove me mad so replaced MB and PSU and the fault gone away but never know what made it happen MB or PSU but think it was the PSU because that controls the power!

Last edited:
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The Smart series from Thermaltake do not have a good reputation. It could well be the cause of your issues.

Click the first link in my sig and read the write-up there. I honestly think that a high quality PSU of 550W would be more than sufficient, maybe 650W if you want extra headroom.

My TL;DR recommendations would be:
Seasonic Focus or Prime
Corsair TX, TXm, RM, RMx, HX, HXi, AX, or AXi

The Prime, and the HX/HXi/AX/AXi tend to be on the uber-high level of quality, and price.

EDIT: The Corsair CX or CXm would be acceptable, but they are more budget oriented units, and I would probably suggest going 650W with them.