Question PC turns off without warning (no blue screen)?

utkanos

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Hey guys,

In the last few weeks my PC has started turning off without warning - as though someone hit the reset button on the case.

There's no error, no BSoD - just a restart.

I've been into crash reports / task viewer and it simply says that an unexpected shutdown occurred but the reason is unknown.

Am I right in thinking that if it was a hardware fault involving anything except the power unit, I'd get an error message / BSoD? In which case, am I looking at a faulty power unit?

I've been into the case. I have almost zero hardware expertise but I can't see any bad connections. I've remounted the RAM in case that was the issue. No change.

It seems to happen at random - it can go a few days without doing it, or a few times in the space of a few hours.

Many thanks in advance,
Andy

Hey guys,

In the last few weeks my PC has started turning off without warning - as though someone hit the reset button on the case.

There's no error, no BSoD - just a restart.

I've been into crash reports / task viewer and it simply says that an unexpected shutdown occurred but the reason is unknown.

Am I right in thinking that if it was a hardware fault involving anything except the power unit, I'd get an error message / BSoD? In which case, am I looking at a faulty power unit?

I've been into the case. I have almost zero hardware expertise but I can't see any bad connections. I've remounted the RAM in case that was the issue. No change.

It seems to happen at random - it can go a few days without doing it, or a few times in the space of a few hours.

Many thanks in advance,
Andy

It could very well be hardware. Be we can't possibly know unless you tell us what hardware.

BTW: I'm thinking PSU.

utkanos

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Thank you. My hardware is My stats are: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core @ 3.50 Ghz / 8gb DDR3 RAM / traditional hard drive (no SSD).

If you need more specifics of that (e.g. motherboard or PSU model), how can I find those out?