Question PC turns on after refusing for days.

Aug 14, 2022
Hi, 2 days ago i tried turning my PC on but it didn't.

My motherboard has a switch that allows to turn the pc on without the case switch. In addition it has LED indicator that shows if the power is connected. So the LED was showing that the power is on. But the motherboard switch also couldn't turn on the PC.

I tried switching on the pc for about an hour and it didn't work. After that I didn't touch my pc until today. And when i pressed the power button today it turned on. [Moderator Note: Implied profanity deleted] ? What was wrong. How can i test what went wrong to avoid this happening again in the future?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Check all case connections as well.

Use a bright flashlight to look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched cables, anything browned or blackened, swollen components, moisture, loose or missing screws.

If another successful boot occurs look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or informational event that occurred just before or at the time of boot failures.

Reactions: Unluckyuser3310
Hi, 2 days ago i tried turning my PC on but it didn't.

My motherboard has a switch that allows to turn the pc on without the case switch. In addition it has LED indicator that shows if the power is connected. So the LED was showing that the power is on. But the motherboard switch also couldn't turn on the PC.

I tried switching on the pc for about an hour and it didn't work. After that I didn't touch my pc until today. And when i pressed the power button today it turned on. [Moderator Note: Implied profanity deleted] ? What was wrong. How can i test what went wrong to avoid this happening again in the future?
Do you leave your computer connected to the mains when its off?

If you do, over time it can build up static electricity (had this on laptop and desktop) and it won't turn on. If it happens again, just unplug and hold the power button down for 60 seconds, then try.

Aug 14, 2022
Do you leave your computer connected to the mains when its off?

If you do, over time it can build up static electricity (had this on laptop and desktop) and it won't turn on. If it happens again, just unplug and hold the power button down for 60 seconds, then try.

Thanks for the reply. This might be it, because the PC turned on after being unplugged for more than a day.

But could you please clarify what does mains mean? It was plugged to the wall.

Aug 14, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Check all case connections as well.

Use a bright flashlight to look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched cables, anything browned or blackened, swollen components, moisture, loose or missing screws.

If another successful boot occurs look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or informational event that occurred just before or at the time of boot failures.

Thanks! I will try to get all the information about the hardware when I get home. I will try the other steps if the advice made by Nighthawk117 will not solve the issue.

Thank you, just wanted to make sure. I hope you are right. I sure don't wanna go inside the pc and check everything. Building the PC was enough hassle for me:)
We don't know for certain this is the cause, but if the PC has otherwise been trouble free, no stability issues, good quality board and PSU ect.. then it wouldn't surprise me. I've encountered this a few times over the years, but my brother had this problem recently. If it is the cause, then switching the PC off at the wall when it's not in use will stop it happening.

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately the nature of the problem(s) sort of force the issue of "going inside" again.

No one wants to force any connections etc., especially with a new build. But what feels to be fully and properly seated may not be so.

Plus, over time, due to expansion/contraction and vibrations, things will become a bit loose. Not enough to always be completely disconnected but just enough to cause intermittent problems.

Since you built the PC going back "inside" may not be as much of a "hassle" as you anticipate.

All you are doing is to simply verify that nothing is loose or otherwise astray.

Take your time, use good lighting, review the applicable User Guides/Manuals.