Question PC turns on and fans spin , then turns off after 30 seconds and back on again with no display.

EmpireHitSquad

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
I'm seriously getting really frustrated , my computer after almost 6 months of use won't boot anymore . when i press power button all fans come on and i get no video signal , it stays on for about 30 seconds or maybe a little more and then shuts itself off , and then back on again and repeats. here is a list of things i've done and my specs , any help would be greatly appreciated . if someone helps me solve this i will paypal u a thank you donation on friday.
list of things i've tried
1.removing all components and inspecting CPU pins , and motherboard for visual damage with a light and magnifying glass very carefully.
2. connecting only cpu power cable near processor and mobo power and sitting on top of a cardboard box outside of case with bare minimal (same thing happened)
3 trying out all different Ram setups swapping to different dimm and taking out one or other etc , putting only one in at time . (ram is new )
4 holding down power button for 30 seconds .
5 removing battery for hour or so , and clearing cmos with a jumper .
6 tried onboard video and removed external gpu .
7 bought a new power supply (same thing happens as with old one)
my specs are :
CPU intel 9900k (always stock settings or power options set to "high" in windows. never overclocked)
MoBo Asrock phantom Z390 phantom sli/ac
Ram CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX Series 16GB (2PK 8GB) 3.0GHz DDR4 Desktop Memory
Cooler Silenx EFZ-120HA5 CPU cooler
GPU GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GTX 1080
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart BX1 RGB 650w RGB Fan 80 Plus Bronze Certified
O/S Windows 10 X64 Home

Ralston18

Titan
Does the problem occur if you boot into Safe Mode?

Any error codes or warnings in Reliability History and Event Viewer?

NOTE: "if someone helps me solve this i will paypal u a thank you donation on Friday".

Not needed or necessary. And accepting such things is not in accordance with this Forum's rules and policies.

Hi

New PC cases lack of something that I love. Do you have an old internal pc speaker or buzzer (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ryhEGPgML._SX425_.jpg) you can plug into the right header on the motherboard so you can hear the beeps after pressing the power button ? If so, can you hear the beeps and tell use what it sounds like (something like 3 long beeps and 1 short, or 2 short beeps and 1 long, etc)?

Anyways, Im guessing is kinda hard that both memory sitck have gone wrong at the same time, so that shouldn't be the problem, cooler seems fine since it spin, and finally since you tried a diferent PSU, then that shouldn't be the problem either.

Have you tried with a another monitor cable? I know it sounds stupid but, have you ?

Have you tried without pluggin the monitor ? yeah I know you wont see anything on the scren, but you will notice if the PC stay on for more than 30 seconds right?

When you say you put the mobo in cardboard, did you plugged the keyboard to it ?, Or was only mobo+cpu+1 stick of ram+ power cables?; If you did plug the keyboard, have you tried without it, or with a diferent one ?

Can you get your hands on another CPU, anything cheap like a pentium or celeron, (that you wont regret if its get damaged, which is not very likely to happend anyways) to try it out ?

Did anything wierd happend the last days or weeks that you can remember while the PC was turned on?

When you tried to use the integratged GPU, Did you cleared the CMOS after removing the discrete GPU?

And finally, since you build this 6 months ago you should have warranty for all your products right ?, You just wana know whats the problem to ask for the right replacement?

Im sorry if some of this question sounds stupid, but trying to diagnose some PC problems from far away is not easy.

EmpireHitSquad

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
thanks for your reply . i have tried with and without and different monitor/keyboard , i did clear the cmos following all instructions before using integrated gpu . and monitor cable is confirmed working on another pc . so i got another motherboard today , a Gigabyte H370M DS3H i tried the same steps to power up and same thing happened . i'm fearing the worst the 9900k actually died (which i never overclocked) . :\ it is under warranty , but i know they take a long time to do all that , i was trying to exhaust all options before i try to RMA . pins are fine on new mobo , oh and another note . i did try to take DDR4 compatible ram from my brother in laws pc and same thing happened , but when i put back in his pc it would not boot until i removed . i'm not sure if it's ruined or if i needed to reset his cmos due to memory change or i made a mistake and bent pin or something . and on another note my motherboard i just got supports 8 gen cpus , but gigabyte added support for 9th gen including 9900k with latest bios . i was told this had the latest bios . so i'm fearing my CPU is dead.

So you tried your bother in law RAM sticks on your mobo and nothing changed, ok, but then, did you tried your RAM sticks (alone) on your brother in law PC and they didn't work?, or When you put back his own sticks his PC wont boot up?

About your brother in law PC, if it have a DDR4 compatible mobo then it should recognize your RAM sticks (you should tets your RAM sticks alone), it will take longer to boot up, thats normal, it may even auto-restart 1 or 2 times before it actually shows anything on the monitor. And NO, it shouldn't be necesary to clear CMOS when installing diferent RAM.

Also according to the Gigabyte H370M DS3H page (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H370M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-cpu), there are two diferent BIOS versions, for the 2 diferent i9 9900K steppings (P0 and R0), so unless the mobo was updated to version F12, or the very latest F13 (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H370M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios), it may not recognize your cpu. (Same thing than before, if you are sure that the BIOS is updated, it will take longer to boot up).

Now, if you can confirm that your RAM sticks work on a diferent motherboard, and that your own Core i9 9900k does not work on that Gigabyte H370M DS3H (with the right BIOS version) then yes, its most likely a CPU issue.

Last edited:
im going to bet it doesnt have the latest bios these boards rarely get updated right out of the box id get a cheap celeron cpu pop that in replace the battery in the board with a new battery ( had a issue similar) and clear cmos jumper if it boots turn it back off and put the jumper back to its original position ( id recomend only installing one stick of ram and if that one doesnt work try the other it could be a bad batch of ram i had one dead stick that occasionally worked.