Question Pc turns on and immediately turns off? Possible Bios related? RYZEN 3600

Patrick_15

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
I just built a new pc 2 weeks ago and it ran perfectly and I was very happy with it, until today. I tried turning it on the same way I always had by flipping the switch on the back of the pc (I always switch it off to turn off the motherboard LEDs) and pressing the power button ontop of the case. The pc would turn on spin the fans for half a sec and immediately turn off. I cant get it to boot or anything.

I updated my asus rog strix 470f gaming motherboard bios 2 weeks ago with a 50 dollar ryzen cpu for it to be compatiable with my new ryzen 3600. I looked up online and the latest bios version for the board came out 2 days ago on the 9th, and I was wondering if that had anything to do with it? As in do i have to update to the latest bios version every time for my ryzen 3600 to even work?

EDIT: pc specs:
CPU: AMD ryzen 3600 stock cooler
GPU: gtx 970
Motherboard: Asus rog strix 470x-f (updated bios 2 weeks ago)
PSU: Corsair cx650

Or is this not even bios related... ask me for any more info please and thank you!

Last edited:

Patrick_15

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
It's power supply related. Thread from another user doing pretty much the same thing: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/computer-makes-a-bang-when-turned-on.3520y240/
The only reason to turn the PC off at the psu is for thunderstorms.

Hmm, Ive read the thread and I dont see how that applies to me. He is saying that he turns off his computer " from the wall" , what ever that means. He also hears a loud pop noise from the psu which I did not hear at all...

However, maybe it may be a faulty power supply or something. That would really suck as I spent 80 bucks for a brand new one.

However, maybe it may be a faulty power supply or something. That would really suck as I spent 80 bucks for a brand new one.
I wouldn't worry about turning it off with the switch so long as you are shutting it down from within Windows first.

You could try the paper clip test to at least see if your PSU is capable of turning on:

http://support.antec.com/support/so...19-is-my-power-supply-dead-the-paperclip-test

Just be sure to disconnect the PSU from the motherboard and devices first. If it is bad you might could still get it back to the vendor for an exchange.

You could also try a CMOS reset if for no other reason than to eliminate the possibility: turn everything off, remove CMOS battery, short pins for 10 min's or so, reassemble and try it again.