Question PC turns on and off but very odd behaviour too

Jan 18, 2022
Hello all,

I have a fairly old PC which we bought from a friend about 4 years ago and he had it for roughly 3/4 years from new I think.

Up until a couple of weeks ago the PC has ran perfectly however we have started to run into a few issues.

The PC one day displayed an error of "overclock failed" or words to this effect on boot up. I loaded into the BIOS and tried to return the PC to as standard as poss. This allowed it to boot into windows as normal. The PC worked for the next couple of days before we saw the error again and we put the same temp fix in awaiting for the weekend to have a full look.

Since then however when trying to start the #PC it turns on for all of 1 second and shuts off immediately after a couple of tries to turn it on I left it. However the odd and bizarre part I came in this week and my son had turned the PC as normal and was sat playing it as if nothing was wrong. We shut the PC down as normal and the next day we are back to on and off again however this time unable to turn it back on at all.

I've checked all the connections and everything seems secure on the board.

Any ideas welcome?

Thanks
Adam

Jan 18, 2022
Fortunately my friend still had the spec in his order history from when he bought it....

Chassis NZXT H440 White Edition
Motherboard Asus X99-A USB 3.1
Processor Intel Core i7 5820K Hex Core Professionally Overclocked to 4.4GHz CPU
Cooler Corsair Hydro H80i GT Liquid Cooler
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666MHz DDR4
Graphics Card 6GB EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC
Power Supply Corsair 750W CS - 80PLUS GOLD
System Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

And im on with the cleaning now and also reapplying some new thermal paste. I can try get it turned on to check the temp although i actual think that info is on the motherboard a digital display.

Thanks