[SOLVED] PC turns on and off repeatedly, and when it turns on, i get no output

Feb 26, 2019
I recently got a 1x8 Corsair Vengance stick that i tried putting into my prebuilt PC and it repeatedly turns off and on again after about a second or two. I am unaware of the ram branding already in the PC. I put both of the default sticks back in (only having 2 slots) after trying the right one, and it does the same thing. taking out the left one, the PC boots normally, but i don’t get an HDMI output, and my keyboard nor mouse light up like on a normal startup. Please help!

Solution
Oh right, putting in the 8GB may have upset cmos. Not sure if you've reset cmos yet, try that. With PC off, have the original sticks in and remove the watch size battery for 30seconds or so. Take note which side the battery is facing to put back the right side up.

Removing cmos battery resets cmos which contains system parameters, it'll revert back to defaults and refresh any new hardware connected to the motherboard including ram. Hopefully it works. Any changes done manually in the bios (if youve done so) will revert to factory settings.

Check as well you havent accidentally bumped anything important inside the case.

compprob237

Distinguished
In some systems that reboot cycle is the motherboard training the RAM. This will happen any time new RAM is inserted.

Although, another issue is that it might be stuck in a boot cycle because of a boot error. Look for diagnostic LEDs or do you have a BIOS speaker hooked up? The motherboard would initiate a BIOS beep if there was a problem. The two types of diagnostic LEDs would either give you a 2 Hex code or have red LEDs somewhere on the board (usually near the device it indicates) that would correspond to the device that isn't working.

Was power completely removed from PC (PSU switch off or power removed from rear of PSU) during RAM change, or was the computer merely 'shut down'?

Completely remove power, drop to one RAM stick in required slot (consult mainboard manual, possibly when running only one stick, a particular slot might need populated for integrated video functionality...), and find the 'CLear CMOS' switch or jumper, and activate it. install it (as applicable) for 10 seconds...

(We can't really say the PC 'boots normally' when it has no display, so I presume you mean it at least 'powers on' normally with fans, lights, etc..)

Feb 26, 2019
In some systems that reboot cycle is the motherboard training the RAM. This will happen any time new RAM is inserted.

Although, another issue is that it might be stuck in a boot cycle because of a boot error. Look for diagnostic LEDs or do you have a BIOS speaker hooked up? The motherboard would initiate a BIOS beep if there was a problem. The two types of diagnostic LEDs would either give you a 2 Hex code or have red LEDs somewhere on the board (usually near the device it indicates) that would correspond to the device that isn't working.
i do not have any bios indicators so i’m not sure what to do

Feb 26, 2019
Was power completely removed from PC (PSU switch off or power removed from rear of PSU) during RAM change, or was the computer merely 'shut down'?

Completely remove power, drop to one RAM stick in required slot (consult mainboard manual, possibly when running only one stick, a particular slot might need populated for integrated video functionality...), and find the 'CLear CMOS' switch or jumper, and activate it. install it (as applicable) for 10 seconds...

(We can't really say the PC 'boots normally' when it has no display, so I presume you mean it at least 'powers on' normally with fans, lights, etc..)
yes, i turned off the psu using the switch on the back of my PC

Feb 26, 2019
Can ya do us a favour and put the original memory sticks back. Assuming you can boot to windows, run cpuz and get the motherboard model number under the mainboard tab.

And memory manufacturer and part number for your memory under the SPD tab.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Thanks
Using the original ram sticks doesn’t change anything unfortunately. my issue has now evolved to my pc lights and fans turning on, but no usb or hdmi output, so i can’t get to windows or bios

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh right, putting in the 8GB may have upset cmos. Not sure if you've reset cmos yet, try that. With PC off, have the original sticks in and remove the watch size battery for 30seconds or so. Take note which side the battery is facing to put back the right side up.

Removing cmos battery resets cmos which contains system parameters, it'll revert back to defaults and refresh any new hardware connected to the motherboard including ram. Hopefully it works. Any changes done manually in the bios (if youve done so) will revert to factory settings.

Check as well you havent accidentally bumped anything important inside the case.

Reactions: compprob237
Solution