nazca52

Reputable
Jan 5, 2018
i5 4690k
2x8 GB RAM
Asus Sabertooth Mark 2 Motherboard

Problem started a few days ago.

Today happened again. This is what I discovered:

Removing the 2 memory sticks will allow the PC to stay on, but obviously won't start.

Putting either any of the 2 RAM sticks on the 1st. DRAM slot causes the same problem as title describes.

So I removed the CMOS battery and did a CMOS reset, previously disconnecting the PSU from the wall. Tried with one stick, PC starts fine.

Put everything back, read the manual and this time I put the sticks on the 2nd and 4th slots. Again starts fine, actually writing this post on the very PC.

No XMP profile (RAM can go to 2400 Mhz. with XMP).

Using latest BIOS update (problem started with other previous version, so it doesn't seem to be related).

I used to have XMP and CPU overclocked at 4 Ghz, worked fine for several weeks (with CPU overclocking), until this problem started. Actually the first time this happened, and once I was able to somehow start the PC again properly, BIOS displayed a "overclocking problem" so I removed all that. But today problem appeared again today and the overclocking is already removed.

Temps are great, I'm using a properly installed Corsair H80i cooling system.

I'm affraid that when I turn off the PC again, I'll face the same problems all over. Restarting Windows works fine.

Your thoughts?

nazca52

Reputable
Jan 5, 2018
Well today I tried to turn on the PC after being 1 day off, same problem.

After doing a CMOS clear, it starts but won't post (same again). DRAM LED on the motherboard is ON and color RED, according to the manual, it points to a problem with the RAM (clearly unlikely, since I got 2 sticks and all of the sudden BOTH fail?).

After trying different RAM positions and numbers, it will persist with the same problem and finally what I did was unplug and plug again the power cable that goes from the PSU to the motherboard.

Them, the RAM LED didn't turn on and it posted, I has to go to the BIOS, put the date again and I'm running the PC again.

Could be a CMOS battery problem? I just changed it, I guess I need to power off the PC again and try again after some hours.

Any feedback?