Pc turns on and runs but shuts off after 5 seconds.

avenirk9

Reputable
Aug 8, 2018
So I've had this problem that I've spent numerous hours on trying to fix and nothing has worked. My gaming pc turns on for about 5 seconds, shuts off, and tries to turn itself back on but then the second time doesnt turn off for a good 20 seconds. There is no display on my monitor. My keyboard lights up when plugged in, all fans work and everything but it shuts off. Here's what I tried so far:
-Resetting CMOS battery
-Checking all cords, all plugged in fine
-Checked a couple slots of ram, have 4 sticks, doesnt seem to be the problem to a boot up problem
-Changed PSU from 450W to a new 600W

Not sure what else I can try. Here's my specs.
-8 gigs of ram dual channel
-i7 920
-gtx 950 SC
-Asus Sabre tooth motherboard, Cooler Master V8 cpu cooler

If any more info is needed I'll gladly supply. Out of options at this point. Thanks.

avenirk9

Reputable
Aug 8, 2018
this is my first ever pc, so I'm not sure about that "pc language" used but im not sure about motherboard error codes. But the closest thing to that would be a super light quiet beep that sounds normal after booting up. Not like a super loud noticable one.

Jonas Magnusson

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

have you tried putting the graphics card in one of the other two pcie lanes? If you haven't tried already, use one stick of ram and try it in all the ram slots but what you're describing doesn't seem like a ram problem. It might be the cpu if you've overclocked it in the past since it is 10 years old.

avenirk9

Reputable
Aug 8, 2018

It was only set to the turbo frequency that the cpu was rated for. That cpu doesnt overclock

Jonas Magnusson

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

No it does overclock. You can set a custom BCLK to make it operate at a higher frequency. I have the same cpu in my old pc and that one overclocks to 3.8 GHz.

avenirk9

Reputable
Aug 8, 2018

It was set to the turbo frequency. I bought this pc from the Facebook marketplace and the guy said it was fine. A month later this happens. He said hes had it at the turbo frequency.