[SOLVED] PC Turns On But After A Few Mins Screen Blacks Out And Fans Go Crazy?

Jan 16, 2021
hello

ive just finished building my first pc after being on a prebuild for around 3 years. building one wasn’t too hard but I’ve been having an issue with it for around a day.

I turn it on and can go into bios and install windows without any problems, however as it’s booting into windows or sometimes within 5 minutes of being in windows, the screen randomly blacks out and the GPU fan (I think) starts spinning really fast. the pc stays on but I’m not able to get the screen back on without having to restart the system

so far I’ve not had enough time to install mother board or graphics card drivers.

the mono has an onboard hdmi port which I was hoping to use to configure drivers before installing the GPU but this port doesn’t work (the Ryzen CPU doesn’t support video output apparently?)

specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
ASUS X570-E Gaming Motherboard
2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM (32GB)
NVIDIA GeForce 980 (I have this currently because it’s my old graphics card so I’m using it while I try and get a 3060ti)
Corsair H100i Aio
850W Corsair power supply

ps: the furthest I’ve got so far without it crashing is downloading ASUS app and I got to around half way installing Nvidia drivers and it crashed.

I think it might be crashing because the GPU is quite old, I’m not to sure though?

please can you help me

thank you

Jan 16, 2021
Have you created a memtest86+ boot disk and tested your ram for many hours?
That's the first thing I do. If your ram isn't stable/compatible then there's little point in installing windows.

Hi there

thanks for trying to help

i changed my ram frequency from auto in the bios to 3200Mhz which matches the ram spec

I can start in windows safe mode with networking and connect to the internet

the PC doesn’t appear to crash at all in safe mode and I have managed to download my mobo and GPU drivers

unfortunately it’s saying I can’t install them whilst in safe mode? Is there a way around this?

when I boot back into windows to attempt to install the drivers, the same thing keeps happening. The GPU fan starts to spin really fast and the monitor goes black and switches off. I can’t get the screen to come back on and I have to restart again

just to confirm, this Nvidia 980 was pulled from my old pc and worked fine prior to installing here

I have just installed memtest on a bootable usb drive it’s currently testing my ram as you suggested on default settings

I will report the results once completed

have you got any other ideas and is there a way around installing drivers whilst in safe mode (if that will even help?)

thanks for any replies

Jan 16, 2021
No this is a brand new m2 Samsung 1TB drive and I’ve got a 2tb Sata drive as well. Both are installed and windows was installed to the Samsung drive.

i downloaded windows from Microsoft’s website and booted it onto a usb stick.

The memtest currently says there’s no errors and is on pass 2 of 4 at the moment

I’ve got a feeling it’s not ram thus far

do you think it could be the GPU causing issues with this mobo? It’s about a 5 years old and obviously the mobo and memory are new tech

popatim

Titan
Perhaps you have enough time to delete the GPU in device manage and have it default to using Microsofts basic VGA driver.
Then you can install your motherbd Chipset driver followed by Nvidia's drivers.

Also there is a new Beta bios you might want to try. Seems like they'r are trying to get this board working right still. 3 bios's out in a month's time.

Jan 16, 2021
Just to update you, the MemTest completed after about 6.5hrs with no errors, so we can assume it is not a memory issue at this point

regarding the GPU, I have been unable to install the drivers successfully. They are download and on my desktop but before I get a chance to install the computer keeps crashing and the screen goes blank. There is never enough time to install the drivers and this is the same for mobo chipset drivers. They are ready to install but the system always crashes before installing

it doesn’t crash in safe mode but as I mentioned before, you can’t install these drivers whilst in safe mode

I understand your point about the BIOS and will attempt to update it with the latest version today

Finally, I’ve noticed the mobo has an onboard hdmi port. I tried removing the GPU and connecting the monitor to the onboard hdmi but I don’t get anything on the screen at all, including bios at startup

I’ve read some other threads on here and people are saying the cpu doesn’t support onboard video? I thought the motherboard having onboard hdmi is what gives the onboard graphics?

I’ve searched the mobo bios settings but there is nothing that mentions an onboard GPU. My previous ASUS mobo had an onboard hdmi point and in the bios I could enable and disable onboard graphics so I am very confused?

please help and thanks again