[SOLVED] pc turns on but no display no beeps

Louis_40

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
I'm having a very familiar problem but can't seem to pin down the cause My pc starts up i.e. fans spin and everything but there is no display to the monitor I checked the cpu it's properly seated as far as I can tell (but I can't get the fan screwed back in but thats irrelavent). I reseated the RAM (broke the little click parts in the process but still runs) at a loss for what to do next.

gigabyte b365m ds3h motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
970 evo ssd
two sticks of Ballistick 16
600 W power supply
nzxt h510 case
no graphics card yet
I'm connecting through a HDMI display directly to the mother board
I'm hoping I didn't break anything to important but it still runs and turns on I did hear a cracking sound when installing the CPU but upon taking off the fan it didn't appear damaged after breaking the side of my ram slot I thought maybe I should take a break
edit: sorry I put the wrong mother board actually a A520m ds3h
163625109-511737989853050-7027350438948584952-n.jpg
163705910-454332316002153-6755852425357284088-n.jpg
163337688-489286332226718-9016857699859549498-n.jpg
sorry about the bad resolution you can't really see but the left side of the second from the bottom is the one that's broken

Last edited:
Solution
D
Hi,
you need a graphics card - the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 has no integrated graphics (so there's nothing being sent to that mobo hdmi port).
All the best
D

Deleted member 2871437

Hi,
you need a graphics card - the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 has no integrated graphics (so there's nothing being sent to that mobo hdmi port).
All the best

Solution
I'm having a very familiar problem but can't seem to pin down the cause My pc starts up i.e. fans spin and everything but there is no display to the monitor I checked the cpu it's properly seated as far as I can tell (but I can't get the fan screwed back in but thats irrelavent). I reseated the RAM (broke the little click parts in the process but still runs) at a loss for what to do next.

gigabyte b365m ds3h motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
970 evo ssd
two sticks of Ballistick 16
600 W power supply
nzxt h510 case
no graphics card yet
I'm connecting through a HDMI display directly to the mother board
I'm hoping I didn't break anything to important but it still runs and turns on I did hear a cracking sound when installing the CPU but upon taking off the fan it didn't appear damaged after breaking the side of my ram slot I thought maybe I should take a break
Ryzen 5 3600 doesn't have igpu installed, so you need external GPU installed for display.

D

Deleted member 2871437

Is this the mobo: https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/B365M-DS3H-rev-10#kf ?
That's an Intel / LG1151 compatible motherboard - doesn't support AMD CPUs.
Did you really put an R5 3600 in that??
'can't get the fan screwed back in' - if the CPU cooler isn't correctly seated, then you'd have problems even with a compatible CPU.
'reseated the RAM (broke the little click parts' - you're not worried the RAM might no longer correctly sit in this motherboard (assuming it hasn't been trashed by putting in the wrong CPU)?
Is the above serious??
All the best

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
I did hear a cracking sound when installing the CPU but upon taking off the fan it didn't appear damaged after breaking the side of my ram slot I thought maybe I should take a break
RIP your CPU and MOBO, how do you expect installing AMD CPU into INTEL MOBO and how did you break ur RAM slot? dont want to sound mean, but is this a joke?

Louis_40

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
RIP your CPU and MOBO, how do you expect installing AMD CPU into INTEL MOBO and how did you break ur RAM slot? dont want to sound mean, but is this a joke?
didn't break the whole slot just the fastner thing, but it still turns on. Not a joke just an idiot. It said that it supported amd on the box though

Louis_40

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
Is this the mobo: https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/B365M-DS3H-rev-10#kf ?
That's an Intel / LG1151 compatible motherboard - doesn't support AMD CPUs.
Did you really put an R5 3600 in that??
'can't get the fan screwed back in' - if the CPU cooler isn't correctly seated, then you'd have problems even with a compatible CPU.
'reseated the RAM (broke the little click parts' - you're not worried the RAM might no longer correctly sit in this motherboard (assuming it hasn't been trashed by putting in the wrong CPU)?
Is the above serious??
All the best
yeah sadly I'm serious but the box says ryzen ready the cpu fan is bothering me though like the screws don't reach the MOBO and they're are four ram slots well three now I think I could fix it if I had smaller hands

D

Deleted member 2871437

thank you I'll have to pick one up and see if it works any advice on how to reseat my cpu fan? the screws don't reach the mobo
Hi Louis,
sorry to hear you're having a difficult time. Good on you for trying.
Like a few others have suggested I think it would be very helpful if you posted a picture of the motherboard.
Before you connect any more equipment you should really work out what motherboard you have.
If it has holes in roughly the right places for a ryzen CPU then it's clearly not a gigabyte b365m ds3h (that would have pins in the socket). Maybe it's a gigabyte ab350 gaming 3 or something else like that?
Is there any writing on the Motherboard itself?
Where did you get the equipment? Could be it's a fake if you bought from a shady supplier.
Kind regards

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
You sayd you heared a cracking noise when installing your cpu, can you take it out and inspect it or send photos of. Might have installed ur cpu unproperly and broke the pins

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021
The box is a520m and you said a365m that’s two different model, but the cpu is different size so unless you are completely clueless and reckless you won’t be able to force it in there. I suppose it is a520m.
Almost all Ryzen series don’t have integrated gpu so you will need a gpu installed to light the monitor.

D

Deleted member 2871437

Hi Louise,
Thanks for the pictures and identifying the motheboard - that a Ryzen 5 3600 should run in that motherboard with any bios from F1 (which I'm guessing is the first, so out of the box).
You say you have 'two sticks of Ballistick 16 ' - could you please give some more detail on the ram please? Exact model (I take it it's Crucial, yes)?
Details on the power supply too please - make, model.
I hate to suggest this, but as the CPU fan is possibly not attaching correctly, I wonder if the best way forward is to disassemble what you've done and restart the assembly out of the case?
What do you as the builder think?
It is quite hard to see what's going on from those photos.
With the motherboard out of the case it might be easier to get some better photos.
Obviously you're going to need a GPU, but if the CPU cooler is not making good contact with the CPU the CPU will rapidly overheat and shut down the system to protect itself.
Have you thought about what your getting for a GPU?
With the right GPU, if you get the system working that will be a very nice PC :)

Reactions: Louis_40
May 28, 2021
Nowadays most of the mobo are coming which are vga graphics card dependent. If you not install graphics card in the motherboard slot you will not get display. You have to connect your monitors vga or hdmi cable through graphics card vga or hdmi port(not through motherboard vga port), otherwise you will not get display.