PC turns on but no display, no idea where to start!

Ben Marsden

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
I've been away from home for a few days and when I returned I found my PC had been unplugged and moved by a family member, when I turn it on nothing displays on either of my 2 screens. I have checked to see if my ram is seated properly and that all cables are connected properly, I can't think of anything that would cause this problem. Any help is appreciated
PC specs are as follows
AMD fx8320
Gtx 760
Asrock 990fx extreme 3
8gb corsair vengeance

Intensely stupid question and no offense meant: Are the displays plugged in, turned on, connected to the machine, and do they have the correct input selected?

With the trivial cases out of the way, are you sure that the machine is starting? We have to isolate the issue. It could be the machine, your graphics card, the cables, or the monitors. Your system doesn't have on-board graphics, so we can't do that test. Do you have another machine available? If so, try one of your monitors, with the current cable, on it. If the monitor is dead, that's one case. If it works, that's another.

Are there any unusual beeps when the system starts?

Ben Marsden

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

No offense taken! Yes I've tried using the monitors with different devices and they work perfectly, the same goes for the cables. There is no POST beeps after the pc is switched on either

Hmm. There are usually POST beeps, right? Power problem?

Does the power supply have a light / fan, so that you can see that it is doing something when the power button is pressed? With power off, are there any lit LEDs on the mobo? When you turn power on, are there any lit LEDs on the mobo?

And is the power switch on the power supply turned off? Happens to me. Actually, I didn't wire my reset switch to the front panel - I consider it to be too dangerous. So I hard reset by turning the switch on the power supply off and back on.

Ben Marsden

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

Fan on the power supply is spinning when turned on and there is no LED lights on the motherboard when either off or on. I'm starting to think it's a gpu problem and it would be fairly easy to tell if my mobo had on board graphics :(

No LED lights on the motherboard at all suggests that the mobo is not getting power. Mine has an LED lit even when off, if it's getting 5v standby power from the power supply. I suggest re-seating all cables from PS to mobo - how many cables do you have providing power, how many pins is each of those cables?

Goattt

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Hi there,

I would suggest checking your AUX/P4 connector from your PSU to your Motherboard. It is the connector that normally sits somewhere around your CPU, and usually a 4pin/8pin connector.

Often you can still start a computer, get fans moving (even the CPU fan) but get no display, and this can often be the culprit.

Hope it helps.

TRENDING THREADS