Question PC Turns On But No Display On Monitor

Apr 1, 2020
I desperately need some help please. Being stuck at home with absolutely no form of entertainment except for my PC, and the fact that I work from home on my PC has made this an absolute nightmare.

I was gaming earlier and all of a sudden my PC crashed and my monitor got the 'no display' message. I restarted the PC and it all turns on fine, but there is still no display on the monitor. I've tried all of the following with no luck:

- Completely taken my PC apart and put it back together.

- Removed the motherboard CMOS battery for 10 minutes and replaced it, which I read resets the BIOS and could fix the issue.

- Left it all unplugged for 45 mins and tried again.

- Used a different HDMI cable and attached it to a different monitor.

NONE of this has made any difference. The PC still turns on, lights up, fans working etc, but there is no display on the monitor.

This has actuay happened a few times in the past (albeit not recently) and I remember removing the CMOS battery and replacing it fixed the issue every time, but not this time.

What other options can I try? It sounds stupid but my whole life is on my PC. Music, movies, work, video games, workout routines, family photos, etc. I can't even take it to a PC repair shop due to this coronavirus.

PC specs are as follows:

OS - Windows 10 Home (64 bit)
CPU - Intel Core i5
Video Card - Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
Ram - 16gb ddr4
Power supply - G7 power extreme 780w

Apr 1, 2020
By the way, I just noticed that the PSU fan isn't spinning at all, even if only for a split second when booting on. Could my PSU be broken and need replacing? Could that be what's causing the PC to boot but not display to monitor? If the PSU is broken though, why would my PC turn on at all, yet not display anything to the monitor?

Oh and I also noticed that all the paste on my CPU is non existent, yet as mentioned above with the PSU I can't see how that would cause the PC to turn on at all, yet not display anything on the monitor.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020
I guess people can only be bothered to help when there's a tiny amount of text for them to read. Could've made it shorter and just said "DISPLAY WON'T WORK" but figured I'd explain what I'd already done though, to save people the hassle of suggesting stuff that I've already done.

Thread's been up for 2 days and not a single reply. Thanks for all the help.

Apr 6, 2020
Hey mate

Struggling with a related issue. But I believe yours is simpler to fix than mine.
If your PSU fan isn't working then i is very likely that the PSU is dead and gone.
If you have the equipment available I suggest testing the PSU voltage with a multimeter or alternatively put it into another system (if you have one)

If you don't have any of these, just buy a new PSU from an online dealer with a good return policy. 90% sure it would be your PSU

Apr 14, 2020
I have the same problem just where I get the initial boot screen and then the monitor turn back and then back on the a dark blank grey can do anything with it