[SOLVED] PC turns on but no display (USB ports work fine)

Nov 19, 2019
So I have been troubleshooting this for a while now and I am clueless as to what to try next. As the title suggests, the PC turns on, fans work and GPUs light up. There is no display whatsoever (not even BIOS/boot options) and the monitor does not detect a signal. I have tried the following and the issue remains:

• A different monitor
  • VGA and DVI
  • Reseating GPUs and RAM
  • Clearing CMOS
I am utterly confused as to what might be happening. For what its worth, last week I was trying to install CUDA/CuDNN, and after some compatibility issues I uninstalled them (but not the Nvidia drivers). I am running LUbuntu 18.04.

Full hardware specs:
  • Graphics: (2x) RTX 2070
  • PSU: Corsair CX650M
  • CPU: Intel i5 - 6600k
  • MOBO: Unsure, but its an ASUS ATX
  • RAM: (4x) HyperX Predator DDR4 8GB
All of the hardware is <6mo old and in good condition. It was working as of last week.

EDIT: Tried single GPU and same results. Without any GPUs it did reach BIOS.
EDIT 2: I was able to boot up ubuntu disabling secure boot and clearing BIOS, but still without any GPUS. Also, the problem arises even if I just seat the GPUS without connecting them to the PSU.

Last edited:
Solution
Problem has been solved. After resetting CMOS once again, I decided to disable safe booting and clear the keys as a final suggestion I found online. Apparently some of the Nvidia drivers can cause problems with the safe boot functionality for some reason.

I noticed each RTX was pulling 185W while the computer was idle, so thank you for letting me know I should get a bigger power supply!
Nov 19, 2019
You still wonder WHY?
You have two RTX 2070 and you power them with a PSU unit which can AT BEST output 650W...

This isn't my PC and I am by no means experienced with hardware. I tried using a single GPU and the problem persisted. Would lack of power be causing this type of issue given it has been working for the past week? I have noticed also that rarely, after turning the PC on, it will shutdown and reboot mid-boot. Would that be an indication that the PC needs a bigger power supply?

The PSU is a big issue for sure. A single 2070 requires 500-550W depending the model, so two of them at least 700-800W PSU.
You mentioned that you tried with a single card. Did you try both cards one at a time? Can you try them in another PC?
How old is that PSU?

Nov 19, 2019
The PSU is a big issue for sure. A single 2070 requires 500-550W depending the model, so two of them at least 700-800W PSU.
You mentioned that you tried with a single card. Did you try both cards one at a time? Can you try them in another PC?
How old is that PSU?

Yeah I tried them both, one at a time and same results. PSU was bought new about a month ago. I unfortunately don't have another PC to try them at the moment, but if problem persist I might take them home and try that. Is there any way this could be a driver problem?

Nov 19, 2019
By the way, I would like to add that the problem persists even if the GPUs are not connected to the PSU. The monitor will no display anything even if the GPUs are simply seating on the MOBO.

Nov 19, 2019
Problem has been solved. After resetting CMOS once again, I decided to disable safe booting and clear the keys as a final suggestion I found online. Apparently some of the Nvidia drivers can cause problems with the safe boot functionality for some reason.

I noticed each RTX was pulling 185W while the computer was idle, so thank you for letting me know I should get a bigger power supply!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS