PC Turns on but nothing shows on screen.

pancak3ihop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Ok well, i left my comp on and then went to bed, after i woke up it was off and then whenever i try to turn it on nothing shows on screen not even the motherboard logo or whatever.

This happened to be before and i just replaced the motherboard and it worked.

But now

I replaced the motherboard with 2 new ones, and still same thing.

I turn it on --- The fans turn on, soundcard light, lights up. Videocard fan spins, but nothing shows on the screen. I reseated the ram, replugged everything T_T. I don't know whats the problem.
I tried everything i could possibly think of.

I checked the monitor on a different computer and it worked but it was with a DVI cable since its old. So im thinking it might be the video card or bad VGA cable (i think thats what its called).
pls help x(

7950 GT nvidia videocard
600 watt PSU seagate
E6600 2.4 ghz core 2 duo
X-Fi xtreme gamer sound card
3 harddrive sata 3.0 (80GB/160/500GB)
antec 900 case
Motherboards i tried:
Current: ASUS p5q pro
asus: Asus p5n-e sli
Old: asus p5k deluxe

pancak3ihop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
update : got a new videocard, so im guessing that its not the videocard. :) Maybe i ordered another faulty mobo lol :( just my bad luck.

Question: If your processor doesn't work will the computer still start up?

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
If the CPU dies, it will go to the multitude of beep codes. Try a new PSU, or it could be a grounding issue. (Had a PSU fry a MB before, due to unstable voltage) Try setting up outside the case and see if it powers up. (ie place it on the anti-static bag, and MB box)

It is hard to dfine the problem if I don't see it myself.
Hmmmm.....
1. Do you hear any beeps? What kinda beep?
2. Have you checked all the voltage output from your PSU?
3. Did you smell anything burned or something strange?
4. Have you checked the proc?

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Have you reset the BIOS chip?
I'd remove the CMOS battery and let the BIOS reset to defaults.
Given this could be power issues.

Any spare parts you can swap in and out would be grand to test them.
I have had issues where multiple things friend via lightning strike, turns out everything in the case was dead/failing except the ram and processor.
HDD's were even partially corrupted.

Motherboard is usually where I'd point after I've checked ram video power supply. So hold off on swapping it out yet again until you can rule out the others.

I'm lucky I have multiple machines around always so it is fairly easy for me to troubleshoot.

pancak3ihop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
ok i put the motherboard on top of a anti-static bag and on the mb box. I put in the ram, videocard, and the processor. I also pugged in the 8 pin, 24pin , and the pci-e pin 4 the videocard. Turn on the pc, the videocard fan spins, nothing shows on screen, no beeps either. I took out the processor and it was hot, so I don't think its dead. Is this a faulty motherboard? I also took out the cmos battery and put it back in. nothing =(. So im wondering, Did i miss something o_O? what could be not working ;/.

Last time i had the same problem while back, i just switched the motherboard , but i switched it twice now.
I ordered the Asus p5q pro, first board didn't work, 2nd board didn't work, returning it now.

UPDATE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299 looks like 2 people are having the same problem as me =( no video signal.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good motherboard?

Kari

Splendid
If you are not getting any beeps then there is a good chance the PSU is faulty...
do a test without the rams, you should get error beeps when it notices the lack of ram.

pancak3ihop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Ya, I took out the rams, there is beeps. But when i Put the ram back in, no beeps at all.

Everything turns on , its just that nothing shows on screen =/.

pancak3ihop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
alright this sux =(.

Got a new motherboard (gigabyte P43-DS3L)
and new power supply (antec earthwarts 650watt)
9600 GT 512 DDR3
4x 800 DDR2 RAM 1GB
E6600 intel 2.4 core 2 duo

I plugged in the 24pin and the cpu 4pin one thingy.
Put in 1 ram ( i tried swapping all 4 of my ram)
took out cmos battery, put it back in
Turn on computer
same as usual fan turns on i can hear the harddrive loading. My cd drive can open. nothing shows on screen.
I tried on different monitor, nothing shows on screen.
There is no beeping at all.

Getting frustrated here :/

Hmmmm....
If you still can't find the source of the problem, just unplug everything and build your system once again from null.
Just do it as if you just bought it for a few hours.
Perhaps it was just a bad connect somewhere on your system.

andrew13

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
i am having the same proplem and i dont know what to do

i have 5 gb of ddr2 800 crucial ram 2.6 quad amd phenom procceser 9500 gt evga 320 gb caviar 7200 rpm

G

:bounce: yes :bounce: i have fixed the error i know this post is old but this might help some people.

if you have 2 ram things plugged in at the same time take one out and make sure that you have put it in the right way.

some ram might break when you try to put it in but this should help alot it worked for me and hopefully for you to .

Brody Vernon

G

hey my names amin, i got the same problem, if its not to do with ram, processor and its not difinatly to do with the graphics, its to do with the wireing or the places you might put the stuff in

i mean, if ur lights cum on, fans on, cpu fan on, but no display, or mouse on, or keyboard on, then is not to do with psu, but to do with wirering, if monitor works with other pcz, then cross that out of ur list, make sure all pheriferals are workin.

btw i have *** spelling, erm... i had a problem with a hard drive, i went on utube and checked how to make your pc more cooler, and they said that space out ur hdz, and clean fans, so i did, but i did have 3 hdz slots, but 1 was messed up, so i did space them out but it didnt load anything, then i removed the cpu fan and started my pc for 10secs, then switched it off, and i touched it and burned my finger, then i did the reseatiing the ram thing, didnt work, then i went on intel, looked up for d915gag, i roobbed a pc from skwl that had this with pentium 4 3ghz cpu, and gets hoot alot after playing gta4, lol i know a dumb thing, but it was fun, it gets hot up to 70C and slows down.

after that, i smelt everything to check if anything got burnt, then i kept on prayin, then i rememberd that when i was shuting down my pc, i told my lil bro to switch off the pc by mains, but he was lisstening to sum songs, so then i thought he did it then i pulled of the plug when it was still on, then i took of all the wires from the psu then reconnected it then when upstairs n prayed even more then it worked.

this is the driest post ever, i got bored at 2:40am in england! if this doesnt help or u dont understand anything i wrote, cant blaime u just email me at amin_khan69@hotmail.com, im not gay(69) my big bro made it for me in 2005 now im 15! lol but smart! :bounce: :sol: :sarcastic: :non: :ange: :pfff:

eudy vargas

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
I HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM MAN MY PC TURNS ON EVERYTHING TURNS ON BUT NOTHINGS APEARS ON THE SCREEN.AND ITS NOT THE MONITOR BECUASE I HAVE IT HOOK TO ANOTHER COMPUTER AND IT WORKS JUST FIND.ONE DAY I TURNED MY PC OFF BY THE POWER BUTTON.AND WHEN I TURNED IT ON AGAIN THE CPU FAN WAS MAD LOUD AND SPINNING FAST.SOO I HAVE DO EVERYTHING THAT SAYS OVER THERE AND EVERYTHING BUT WHILE ONE DAY I WAS PUTTING THE RAM I THINK I PUSH THE MOTHER BORAD A LITTLE AND IT TURNED OFF AND ON THE PC.AND THEN SOMETIMES I TURNED THE PC ON AND THE MOTHER BOARD CLOSE TO THE INTEGRATE VIDEO CARD SMELL LIKE BURNED
:??: