Jun 9, 2019
Hello,

Hey,
I hope you can help me find and fix the issue.

On Friday I wanted to start up my pc and everything was like normal. Lights on pc turn on, fans working but no signal on either one of my monitors and mouse and keyboard don’t light up.

I’ve had this problem before that my pc starts but the monitor stays black. I’ve turned my pc off and on again whenever this happened (maybe 1-2 a week for the last 2 months but it worked on the first try for the majority of time) but now the screen and peripherals won’t get any power. I’ve tried with either monitor and there’s been no signal on either one. Both monitors work fine though since I connected my PS4 to them to test. I’ve tried connecting different cables like hdmi, dp, and dvi but not one of them work with the pc but work perfectly fine with other devices.

I’ve then removed my gpu and tried to connect my monitor directly to my mb. No signal on monitor. I’ve reseated every piece of hardware and cleaned the pc but no success.

I then read about removing the cmos battery for a moment and putting it back in as it would reset the cmos values. No success. Still black.
Everything’s been working fine for the last few years and now nothing’s working.

For my hardware(which has been working flawlessly for the past years)

I7 4790K

Gigabyte z97x Gaming-5 Mb

Asus Strix 1080Ti

HyperFury X DDR3 16GB

960 Evo m.2 ssd

850 evo ssd

1tb hdd

600 Watt Corsair CX Series Modular 80+ Bronze

Monitor1: Acer predator xb271

Monitor2: some BenQ 24”

I’d be really really happy if you could help me fix this :)

Last edited:

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
I suggest you try resetting the BIOS as explained on your motherboard's manual (page 31):
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z97x-gaming5_e.pdf
Make sure you unplug it from power first. If this doesn't make a difference, then I'd suggest you try another PSU (just because it powers up, it doesn't mean it's in good condition, and you did mention your mouse/keyboard aren't working also, so it could definitely be that)

Jun 9, 2019
I suggest you try resetting the BIOS as explained on your motherboard's manual (page 31):
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z97x-gaming5_e.pdf
Make sure you unplug it from power first. If this doesn't make a difference, then I'd suggest you try another PSU (just because it powers up, it doesn't mean it's in good condition, and you did mention your mouse/keyboard aren't working also, so it could definitely be that)
Thank you for your help but it didn’t work. I tried the instructions detailed in the manual of my mb but there’s still no power coming. What else I did was reseating the ram sticks and everything worked fine. As soon as I turned it off and tried starting it again the same problem came up with no power for peripherals.
Can the psu from one second to the other not function anymore?

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
Try booting with a single stick of RAM, and if no go, try the other one instead.
if still nothing changes, then you'd be best trying a different PSU. And in answer to your question, electronic devices can malfunction in various ways.

Jun 9, 2019
Try booting with a single stick of RAM, and if no go, try the other one instead.
if still nothing changes, then you'd be best trying a different PSU. And in answer to your question, electronic devices can malfunction in various ways.
Hello, sorry for the late reply. I’ve ordered a new psu and it’s been a holiday on Monday in Germany. That’s why it took a little long.
So I’ve bought a Corair TX750M. Connected everything like before. But still no signal on monitor or any power on the other peripherals. I then just swapped places of both ram sticks and booted without any peripheral other than the monitor and i got a signal etc. Everything working fine. So I turned off the computer again and started it again to test. No signal again.
So what should I do now?

Edit: whenever I repeat the ram everything works. Booting with one ram stick works. Also with two but I have to have them reseated. So is the mobo faulty or the sticks?

Last edited: