Question PC turns on but won't POST after upgrading GPU to an RX 6800 XT ?

fiirespark

Commendable
Jun 18, 2021
my system
z690 UD DDR4 with bios updated f24b(may 2023)
i5-12600kf
16 gb ramm
gtx 1070
seasonic 650w
Works great, had a few other older video cards installed(like 1060) worked great

Bought a new video card rx 6800 xt second hand. Works on the system guy sold it to me even did a 10 min stress test. Took it to a shop and it works on their system(so their mb/cpu/ramm/pwsource)
But ofc not on mine.
Mb has 4 red diagnostic lights, goes past cpu check and mb check remains turned on GPU check. Fans turn on if there is a difference.
The shop couldnt figure it out but he admitted he wasn't that experienced the experienced guy was on vacation.
I thought it might be the power source but with their power source and my sistem still didn't get post anything.

Gonna take it to another shop but since i have to take the whole pc its gotta wait since i WFHome on this pc . That's why i'm asking here maybe i don't have to take a day off.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Can you confirm what model your power supply is? Also what age is the PSU?

Is the 6800xt dual 8 pin connectors? Are you using individual cables or using a split cable?

Did you remove the previous Nvidia drivers with DDU and/or reinstall a fresh copy of Windows?

fiirespark

Commendable
Jun 18, 2021
Can you confirm what model your power supply is? Also what age is the PSU?

Is the 6800xt dual 8 pin connectors? Are you using individual cables or using a split cable?

Did you remove the previous Nvidia drivers with DDU and/or reinstall a fresh copy of Windows?
Seasonic Core GM, 80+ Gold, 650W [ CORE-GM-650 SSR-650LM was bought on 2022-03-18have no idea how much time it spent in storage :)
yes dual 8 pin, yes in individual cables(so NOT 2 8pins on the same cable) , and both are working as i have used both to power my 1070

I did not remove any driver from nvidia or reinstall windows. I didn't do this since if i cant even get to bios let alone windows

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
If you still have your old GPU and the system boots with that GPU installed then I would put it back in and run DDU to remove all drivers. Once removed then reinsert the 6800xt and see if that resolves the issue.

fiirespark

Commendable
Jun 18, 2021
If you still have your old GPU and the system boots with that GPU installed then I would put it back in and run DDU to remove all drivers. Once removed then reinsert the 6800xt and see if that resolves the issue.
even if i remove all drives(hdd/ssd) it still doesnt get to bios and with the old video card it does, so i don't think old drivers on disk drives not even present are the issue.

But i did it anyway so there's no stones unturned and no luck.

Last edited:
my system
z690 UD DDR4 with bios updated f24b(may 2023)
i5-12600kf
16 gb ramm
gtx 1070
seasonic 650w
Works great, had a few other older video cards installed(like 1060) worked great

Bought a new video card rx 6800 xt second hand. Works on the system guy sold it to me even did a 10 min stress test. Took it to a shop and it works on their system(so their mb/cpu/ramm/pwsource)
But ofc not on mine.
Mb has 4 red diagnostic lights, goes past cpu check and mb check remains turned on GPU check. Fans turn on if there is a difference.
The shop couldnt figure it out but he admitted he wasn't that experienced the experienced guy was on vacation.
I thought it might be the power source but with their power source and my sistem still didn't get post anything.

Gonna take it to another shop but since i have to take the whole pc its gotta wait since i WFHome on this pc . That's why i'm asking here maybe i don't have to take a day off.
Tried a different pcie slot?
Tried different output cables?.......dp/hdmi.

fiirespark

Commendable
Jun 18, 2021
Tried a different pcie slot?
It actually worked. thank you

i hadn't tried it because the old gpu works fine on the "main" pci slot.
Now i have to buy a bigger case cause video card is bunched up against the down plate :) and the fans have half a cm space between them and the plate.

Thanks again