Question PC Turns on, fans spin, no signal. Is my Motherboard dead?

Dec 2, 2020
Motherboard: Asus z170-a
CPU: i5- 6600k
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2
GPU: GTX 1070

My PC powers on, all fans turn on, motherboard lights turn on, VGA led light stays on, no signal from onboard or GPU.

Things I've tried:
  • I've taken out the GPU and put in another system and it works perfectly. (kept it out of this system for the rest of tests)
  • Rest the bios via CMOS battery
  • Taken out ram and placed ram in other slots
  • Reseated CPU
  • Put in other GPUs
  • Unplugged HDDs and SSDs
  • Tried other GPU slots
  • Held power button while PC was unplugged to drain all power
  • Reseated Motherboard Power and CPU Power
All with no avail

How it started: Built this PC in 2016 and it's worked perfectly up until this point. I was playing a game and my computer froze and I lost signal. I restarted my computer and when it got to windows the same thing happened. Restarted again tried to get into bios and before I could exit same thing happened. Restarted and no signal at all. Then I drained the power by holding the power button down while the pc was unplugged and I got signal back but lost it again before I got to windows. A couple of restarts later and no signal at all no matter what I do.

Dec 2, 2020
My bad I did try that,
I took out the cmos battery, reseting the bios to ensure that the igpu wasn't disabled, and without the dedicated gpu in my system I ran an hdmi from the motherboard to my monitor. Still no signal

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu works,
You're at least able to get into bios,
Hmm...

Did you add/mix ram?

Take the motherboard out and checked for visible damage - swollen caps, burns?

Are you using a hybrid cooler? If so, check for it and the motherboard for whitish or greenish stains.

That's about all that comes to mind at the moment.

Dec 2, 2020
I cannot get into the bios, I get no video signal at all, not even a black screen, monitor doesn't recognize a signal at all. I've tried even using the DVI port on the motherboard in case the HDMI port was messedup but still no signal.
I'll try mixing ram and inspecting the motherboard.
I am not using a hybrid cooler, my CPU cooler is CRYORIG H7.

mpochylko

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Is the cooling package not getting/sending a signal to mobo? I had my corsair cooler plugged into wrong power source on mobo and this happened to me. Perhaps your cooler <Mod Edit> the bed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 2, 2020
Is the cooling package not getting/sending a signal to mobo? I had my corsair cooler plugged into wrong power source on mobo and this happened to me. Perhaps your cooler <Mod Edit> the bed?
I mean my cooler has worked perfectly for years I'm pretty sure it's installed properly, and I think an overheating CPU has different symptoms than what I'm dealing with. My CPU cooler does still spin and everything when I turn on the PC.

Dec 2, 2020
I just plugged in a motherboard speaker and it doesn't give any beep codes, took out the ram to make sure it works properly and without the ram it does beep.

Dec 2, 2020
I have two ram sticks and I tried both of them individually, no difference.
I switched off eco mode on my PSU so see if that would change anything, no difference.
Just FYI I have been using a surge protector for my PC so it wasn't a power surge either.
But if the mobo speaker goes off then doesn't that mean that the motherboard isn't dead, could my CPU be the culprit?

Dec 2, 2020
I took out the motherboard and ran it on a shoebox, there isn't any damage on the board, and running it on the shoe box doesn't make a difference.
I have totally run out of ideas