MB= msi z97s SLI krait edition
PSU=EVGA NEX650G
CPU= intel i5 4690k
GPU= PowerColor Devil R9 390X
RAM= hyper fury X 8gbx2
HDD= 2TB WD
Cooling= cooler master Nepton 240
CASE= NZXT Phantom 530 Red Edition

So i built this computer in 2015 and never had any problems I understand it is old and recently I have ran into a problem of which it just died when gaming. I then proceeded to turn it on and played again. A week or so later it died and wouldn't come back on so I looked up solutions and nothing seemed to work. this was a couple of months ago recently Ive been craving to play on it so I've been back trying to fix it. I moved the ram about and it turned on. I hadn't had any other devices plugged in such as the mouse or monitor. I turned it off in such excitement and plugged everything back in now there was another problem. I put everything in and booted it up 10 seconds into booting it turned itself off and restarted. It then restarted again and again and again. I then removed the Ram and inserted both in thinking that might work now. Now its back to turning on for a split second and dying again.

Not sure if i have missed anything

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What sort of solutions did you look into? Just so we don't repeat the steps you've already taken. With only the iGPU(no discrete GPU) populating the system, do you see the same issue crop up?

So I don't have any spare parts to try. I have used the paper clip test on the PSU to see if it would run and it was fine. I have obviously moved about the RAM about and got something from it which i explained above.

I've removed the GPU and have had the same turnout. I've removed the HDD drive again nothing changed. I haven't touched the CPU. I want to say it is not as serious as to be the CPU or the actual motherboard. Tried replugging all the cables. Also tried using new cables and different plug sockets.

It was just strange how I managed to get it working after reseating the RAM so I have a feeling it could be something to do with that or the PSU. It has was running fine for the past few years.

Last edited: