PC turns on for couple seconds, than shuts off

troys3

Prominent
Feb 21, 2018
So after having a broken pc for close to three months, trouble shooting finally allowed me to fix my pc by rma-ing my cpu and yesterday I installed it and my pc worked perfectly fine. I monitored my temps because I though my cooler might have something wrong but my CPU stayed cool all night while gaming. So....I get home tonight excited to play again and the power button on my case won't turn on my pc. I thought maybe a plug just came lose on the mobo so I open the case up to press the power button on the mobo. It turns on for like two seconds than immediately shuts off. I tried one ram stick, taking the gpu out and unplugging stuff and plugging back in. Nothing. First thing that went through my mind was a short so I took everything apart and put the mobo on cardboard and tried booting it up, still the same thing. One thing I did notice was weird noises coming from the CPU cooler pump. It sounded like fizzing or boiling water. Or like crackles. Also sometimes when the pc managed to stay on long enough the pump for the cooler would make a loud vibrating noise before the pc would finally shut off. I dont have another cooler to test or another psu. I am beyond frustrated as this happened right after I thought I finally fixed my pc after so much time. If you read this whole post thank you and I would really appreciate any feedback.

Solution
try powering down everything and taking out the CMOS battery to reset the bios. Hold down the power button for two minutes. After that power it back on to see if it boots up fully. If it doesn't, i buy a new CMOS battery for the motherboard.

Lawrence Taylor

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2014
try powering down everything and taking out the CMOS battery to reset the bios. Hold down the power button for two minutes. After that power it back on to see if it boots up fully. If it doesn't, i buy a new CMOS battery for the motherboard.

Solution