[SOLVED] PC turns on for half a sec

Jan 16, 2021
Hi there, I'm new to the forums and would love some help.

To give you some backstory, about five years ago I purchased a pc from Cyberpower before I knew how to build a pc. My CPU has been overheating/fried for several months, and I've troubleshooted (very poorly) during those months. I eventually gave up and my CPU has been miraculously running at 200F for months at a time.

Recently, I finally replaced my old, crisp, i5-6700k with a new i5-9600k, with the intention to turn this current system into a secondary pc. I determined the cause of overheating was my AIO being completely disconnected from my CPU, so I purchased the Corsair h60 (120mm cooler) and installed this recently.

I plugged my AIO pump to PUMP_FAN1, and my Rad fan to CPU_FAN1( tried a sys fan too, both work)

So what's the problem?

My pc won't turn on. It turns on for maybe .5 seconds then shuts off immediately. The fans and motherboard light turn on, but no sounds are played. The weird part is, it doesn't sound like it actually turns on, then shuts off. It sounds like it just won't turn on at all, if that makes sense.

What I've done/tried

• Read through the stickied trouble shooting guide on this forum (didn't see anything i haven't tried)
  • Purchased a brand new corsair 650watt PSU. (So it's not the PSU)
  • -(Possibly incorrectly) reset the CMOS by shorting the jumpers and taking out the CMOS battery. Motherboard didn't come with pin caps.
  • Plugged all cables and power connectors as instructed by the manual (CPU, Ram, GPU, PSU, JFP, etc)
  • I've tried everything in my motherboards manual for troubleshooting.
  • Tried reconfiguring RAM stick slots (Plugged only one in in correct slot)
  • Made sure CPU and AIO was installed correctly with not too much pressure screwed in.
My PC turned on fine before I installed a new AIO.

What I think might be the problem

• Motherboard is dead, shorted, or damaged
  • RAM is damaged, or somehow not registered or installed correctly
  • CMOS problem?
  • AIO is somehow not plugged in correctly and the motherboard is preventing it to boot. (There is a SATA cable for the pumps power and i don't have plugged in, could be it?
  • I accidentally missed a cable or unplugged something when installing the new AIO and PSU, something obviously important.

PC Specs:

Motherboard: MSI z270 Gaming Pro
-CPU: Intel i5-9600k
-Memory: 16gb 2x8 XPG Adata DDR4 3000
-Video card: GTX 1060 (some cyberpowerpc offbrand)
-Storage: 1x 250gb SSD, 1x 1tb HD (can't remember brand)
-PSU: Corsair CX650m
-AIO: Corsair H60 120m

Would love any help or ideas. Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
This "Motherboard: MSI z270 Gaming Pro"
Does not support this "CPU: Intel i5-9600k"

Extract from: Compatibility of Desktop 9th and 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors
9th and 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Desktop Processors use an LGA1151 socket. However, they require motherboards based on Intel® 300 Series Chipset. Some Intel® 300 Series Chipset based motherboards may need a BIOS update to support 9th Generation Intel® Core™ Desktop Processors. Please check with your motherboard manufacturer for details.
Jan 16, 2021

Extract from: Compatibility of Desktop 9th and 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors
9th and 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Desktop Processors use an LGA1151 socket. However, they require motherboards based on Intel® 300 Series Chipset. Some Intel® 300 Series Chipset based motherboards may need a BIOS update to support 9th Generation Intel® Core™ Desktop Processors. Please check with your motherboard manufacturer for details.

Solution
Jan 16, 2021

Ohhhh, yeah I just read what cpu chipsets it supports and it only goes to 7th gen, well, that must explain it.

Thank you for finding that out, I'm new to pc building. Good news is it it was probably time for a new motherboard anyway.

Any recommendations? Something around the same price range?