PC turns on, no display, no lights to peripherals, everything spins

Leafy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I haven't used my PC in 2 weeks and coming back to it today it is not working.
Powering it on, everything turns on (cooler, gpu, fans) but no display.
Did not show any signs of problems prior.
I also notice the lights on my keyboard and mouse do not power on making me think the motherboard is the culprit, however everything else connected to the mobo is spinning up fine.

What I've tried:
- cleared the jumper/CMOS on the motherboard
- removed the graphics card and tried on-board graphics
- tried 2 different monitors (for onboard and gpu)
- trying 1 stick of ram each

Is it a dead motherboard?
If so, is there a way to replace it without having OS licensing issues?

I'd like to keep my computer in its exact state (programs, icons all of it where it was without disrupting it and needing to do a clean install or driver issues)

*I'm used to hearing mobo beeps on other PCs, but I noticed no beeping occurred when no ram was in the PC when powering on. I don't normally plug in the external speakers if given and I do not have the original box with sorts with me either to search for it.

Amd A8-5600k
MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 FM2
8GB DDR3
MSI R9 270
CX450M
Windows 7 64bit home

Solution
Want to say for my situation this case is closed.
This is a helpful link for future googler's or those in the same boat to a list of beep codes that is very helpful.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=86906.0

Though all signs looked to be a motherboard maybe even cpu fault, my culprit was the video card.

By plugging in the motherboard speakers I purchased, I received 8 beeps which was
"8 beeps - Display memory read/write failure - bad video card or memory"

I tried memory first pulling out both sticks and hearing the 3 beeps which made sense
"3 beeps - Base 64K memory failure - bad memory"

I then tried one stick, and for the heck of it without the graphics card and used integrated and it post.

Leafy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009

Thank you for the input.
If i swap for the exact identical motherboard can I avoid any issues with drivers and OS licensing or will Windows 7 know? I just want a seamless swap and go situation.

Elitehsimpr

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
Yes my friend had the exact symptoms, and replacing his motherboard fixed his issues.
If you have a motherboard speaker installed, and you boot up the system with no RAM, and it doesn't beep, that's a big red flag that your motherboard is dead.

Leafy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009

Don't have the speaker sadly. I'm between the motherboard or the cpu being dead right now guess I'll have to get replacements and test

Elitehsimpr

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

Yes I wouldn't rule out a memory, graphics card, or power supply issue until you hear the beeps the motherboard makes... If at all. Good luck!

Leafy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009

A very good suggestion, I spent the day scouring the city for the motherboard speaker. Finally decided to drive an hour out to a Fry's to buy one. Beep codes help so much, as everyone's situation is different I've found out it is not the motherboard but the graphics card.
Got 8 beeps, meaning memory or video card error. Thank you and the forum for the ideas, I was very close about 20 minutes from ordering another motherboard and cpu just in case. Glad I went out of the way to get the speaker and confirm the culprit.

Leafy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Want to say for my situation this case is closed.
This is a helpful link for future googler's or those in the same boat to a list of beep codes that is very helpful.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=86906.0

Though all signs looked to be a motherboard maybe even cpu fault, my culprit was the video card.

By plugging in the motherboard speakers I purchased, I received 8 beeps which was
"8 beeps - Display memory read/write failure - bad video card or memory"

I tried memory first pulling out both sticks and hearing the 3 beeps which made sense
"3 beeps - Base 64K memory failure - bad memory"

I then tried one stick, and for the heck of it without the graphics card and used integrated and it post.

Solution

Elitehsimpr

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

Yeah beep codes are essential when troubleshooting posting issues with a new PC build.
It's a shame most motherboards/cases/powersupplies don't come with motherboard speakers for some reason :/