[SOLVED] PC turns on, peripheral works except for monitor

Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone, I'm a guy with a basic understanding of PC, so please kindly bear with me and thank you kindly for whoever taking their time of the day to answer this.

My problem is as follows:
My PC periodically does this thing once around few months where it turns on, every peripherals work except for the monitor. I can tell this by my keyboard as it would change it's rgb color when it lands on the lock screen (the color change requires a software which would only work if the PC actually boots at least into the lock screen) and also from my mic as it would display a red color when it turns on. The problem is, once this problem occur, it would persist for a long time, maybe few weeks or so and just randomly goes away somehow.

The thing is, I've tried to bring this to my local PC repair shop and after they do diagnostics, they said that it was the ram that is faulty. However, I've purchased new set of ram stick and the problem still persist. Brought my PC there again after this happened again few months after and they told me that it just turns on now and of course, after few months, problem occurs again. I live in 3rd tier town in a 3rd world country and don't really have many option for a PC repair shop in my area.

Things I've tried:
  • checked if its the monitor. I'm quite sure it is not the monitor as it tried connecting the monitor to my brother's laptop and it works every time. Although, I did use HDMI to test this instead of DP as I don't have other electronic that has DP out.
  • sometimes, when I changed my ram stick into another slot, the PC boots fine, sometimes it does not.
  • sometimes, when I unplugged the cable connecting the PSU and wall socket, pressed my power button from PC for about 3-5 sec, plugged PSU again, and turn it on, it works, however ,sometimes it does not.
  • sometimes when I've just so frustrated and leave the PC alone for like a day or a week, it magically turns on.
  • reseating everything and again, it worked, problem occurs again shortly.
  • fresh windows install, installed required drivers, problem still occur few months after that.
  • turning off windows fast boot when my pc actually turns on, still doesn't work.
  • many other things I found on internet over the course of 2 years, can't quite recall.
I've also read from other posts that it is possible that the mobo is faulty (i was previously living in an area where there were a lot of power outages. I've learned my lesson and purchased a UPS to mitigate this). Is there any way to confirm that the mobo is faulty?

Any suggestion of what to check/do with this would be very appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming M3
Processor: Intel Core i5 7600K
VGA: Colorful GTX 1070 U TOP 8GB
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1Tb
PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W
Memory: Kingston RAM DIMM HyperX Fury RGB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz 8GBx2

Last edited:
Solution
Have you tried removing the graphics card and boot using the CPU's on-board graphics?
When this problem occurs do you try clearing the CMOS?
Have you tried booting with just one RAM stick in memory slot DIMMA2? (try both sticks)
Have you tried booting with no drives connected to see if you can get into the BIOS?
Is your motherboard updated to the latest BIOS?
Have you tried removing the graphics card and boot using the CPU's on-board graphics?
When this problem occurs do you try clearing the CMOS?
Have you tried booting with just one RAM stick in memory slot DIMMA2? (try both sticks)
Have you tried booting with no drives connected to see if you can get into the BIOS?
Is your motherboard updated to the latest BIOS?

Solution
Oct 25, 2021
Hi rocktalkrock, thanks for the suggestion! tried the first suggestion from you just now. The pc booted up normally using the CPU's onboard graphic.

After that, I installed the GPU again and it booted normally after. Hopefully the bootup stays normal. I've screenshotted your other suggestions as well and will try it in case the problem comes back.

Also, to answer your other questions:

1. Haven't tried the CMOS thing, i saw the mobo manual and was afraid to mess up anything. However, if this occurs again, i would brave myself to try it probably.
  2. Have tried booting on DIMMA2 only few months back, it worked, until the problem comes back. Now i installed it on DIMMA2 & DIMMB2. Also tried to install it on DIMMA1 & DIMMB1, same thing.
  3. Haven't tried to boot it with no drives. However, when i did the fresh install recently, it booted up without problems to the windows install page.
  4. I have never updated my bios as in my limited understanding, it might lead to more problems and not quite necessary. Not sure if my previous repair shop did it though.

Thanks a lot!

Hi rocktalkrock, thanks for the suggestion! tried the first suggestion from you just now. The pc booted up normally using the CPU's onboard graphic.

After that, I installed the GPU again and it booted normally after. Hopefully the bootup stays normal. I've screenshotted your other suggestions as well and will try it in case the problem comes back.

Also, to answer your other questions:

1. Haven't tried the CMOS thing, i saw the mobo manual and was afraid to mess up anything. However, if this occurs again, i would brave myself to try it probably.
  2. Have tried booting on DIMMA2 only few months back, it worked, until the problem comes back. Now i installed it on DIMMA2 & DIMMB2. Also tried to install it on DIMMA1 & DIMMB1, same thing.
  3. Haven't tried to boot it with no drives. However, when i did the fresh install recently, it booted up without problems to the windows install page.
  4. I have never updated my bios as in my limited understanding, it might lead to more problems and not quite necessary. Not sure if my previous repair shop did it though.

Thanks a lot!
Glad to hear it's working. Just to let you know, you can check which BIOS version your motherboard has inside Windows using the "System Information" app. But if your computer is working there is no need to update it.

bv_3.png